Single Touch Payroll compliance

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by scientist, 13th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

We have a custom made payroll system that's working great and I am decisively against using a subscription service like MYOB or quickbooks etc because 1) extra cost and 2) our current system works great.

What are you guys going to do after July 1 2018? do you already use something like quickbooks? I feel like this regulatory change is forcing people to pay for a service where they haven't needed to before.

Wondering if anyone would know of a php developer that can help us with STP compliance? our payroll situations are simple, no need for a fully developed system that can handle strange things like FTB / wine equalisation tax etc etc, just bog standard PAYG withheld, SG guarantee, etc.

2. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

I take it you have more than one 20 employees as it only applies to businesses with more than 20 employees doesn't it?

3. scientist

Yes but all casuals so we aren't even big. Also +12months later, it will apply to every employer (july 2019)

willy1111 likes this.
  4. willy1111

Less than 19 employees is stillto be legislated through parliament

But you are right it seems to be forcing some businesses to pay for a payroll sevice they may not have needed to in the past.

You would think a fairer option would be at least some option to report via the ato business portal like bas statements can be lodged.

5. freddy

freddy Well-Known Member

Speak to ozedi who I believe have already gone live. They are great at handling messaging only services using exported data. Probably cost $10 a month in being compliant.

scientist and willy1111 like this.
  6. scientist

Thanks for the suggestion

currently my 2 choices are

1) API with a messaging service like ozedi
    2) API with cloud based payroll software like Reckon so our payslips get cloned into there and submitted from there

The costs are similar actually... so maybe 2 is better if the costs are the same. A bit disappointed the messaging services aren't any cheaper.

7. scientist

Yeah that sounds a tad unlike what a first world western government would / ought to do. I mean if they're going to make compliance a legal requirement, they should offer some sort of barebones government website / free method of complying.

Handyandy likes this.
  8. freddy

freddy Well-Known Member

Most finance software companies should have integrated payroll and working towards being compliant with ATO superstream, STP. For companies their finance software may not support and therefore must decide if viable to switch to a new finance software ($$$/time/change). It is a workable solution if requires minimal manual process to be compliant to use companies like ozedi with existing systems.

9. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

I have a client using these people and feedback was positive. It wasnt overly expensive and could actually send a csv file

Single Touch Payroll FAQ

10. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

I only have 2 employees! anyone tried some of the free software and if so what's the best?

Thanks

11. willy1111

I've gone with Reckon (publicly listed company). $5 a month for Reckon One and a further $5 a month for Payroll add on with STP, so $10 p/m total. Free one month trial.

12. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

How do we do this through xero?

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

14. Simon Hampel

@scientist did you end up finding a suitable solution?

The ATO now have a list of Low-cost Single Touch Payroll solutions

... but I agree that the ATO should have provided a free solution for small businesses (like they did with the Super SBCH) - after all STP is all about making their life easier, all they've done is shift the burden to service providers and small businesses to do their work for them.

willy1111 and Terry_w like this.
  15. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Easy on Xero, couple of clicks to set up the STP link with the ATO (if you have an ATO Business Portal Login, otherwise a quick call to the ATO or your accountant. Just a click when you submit payroll then.

I'm a huge fan of Xero, super simple to use, as a relatively new business owner we trialed a few and Xero came up tops for us, it's easy and fairly intuitive.

We paired it with Harvest which is a time sheet & project management/invoicing system that links flawlessly with Xero.

16. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I just rang the ATO on the number and its all done......last minute as usual

Scott No Mates and Propagate like this.
  17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I used these guys (Free Accounting Software) sourced from the ATO website, and whilst it was a bit fiddly to set up, not due to their software, but due to the procedural stuff with AusKey rego and creating staff records and such within FAS, etc, it actually worked a treat.

And didn't cost a cracker.

Note that I have no affiliation with this company.

18. Simon Hampel

Did my first STP pay run last week - adjusted the way I was doing my pays in Saasu based on their recommendations which was a one-off-task - but once it was set up, STP was surprisingly easy. I wasn't actually sure I'd done it correctly - since I thought there would be more to do, but I got an email from the ATO a few days later to say it had all been processed correctly, so it's all good.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Being on the other end of it, you have to register for my.gov.au
    Then you link your Mediscare and ATO and Family Tax Benefits and ......

Then you get to see your stuff.

Pity for those who don't use a computer.

20. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

just make sure in XERO payroll you do the finalisation process as well.