single phase vs 3 phase

Discussion in 'Development' started by sandyfeet, 16th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We are subdividing a block that will not settle till next year but have been lucky enough to get the contractors to install services for us with the main works. The electrical contractor has asked us if we wanted single phase or 3 phase power installed for the 2nd lot. I said I would check with the electrician who will likely carry out the work but thought I would check here also. any suggestions as to the advantages of 3 phase? It was only going to be $200-$300 extra for the 3 phase

Further to that, anything else we should consider to help the subdivision along?? we are already getting extra water/sewer/comms and elec installed.

thanks

2. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

Putting in 3 phase now will ensure you can power things like spa, electric induction cooktop etc. We had to do this in our PPoR and cost $2k. So if I were you, I'd put it in if its only a couple of '00s more.

3. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

You can do those things on single phase no problem.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

All's fine unless you have peak demand metering.

If you run the cable now it's a little expense. The end user can decide to use one or more phases. 3 phase can use lighter gauge cable as you have 3 phases to spread the load vs one heavier cable .

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2015
  5. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

thanks guys, looks like i may as well do 3 phase for a couple of hundred $$,

would it make any difference to the electrician once they start work on the site?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unless you have a 2 barrow hoist, concrete/terrazzo grinder on site, most plant and equipment is single phase.

7. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

if you have the option, put 3 phase to the meterbox.

to run it in afterwards is over triple the price.

3 phase opens up different doors for pool pumps, spa pumps, AC systems and if my really poor memory serves me correctly, also grid connect PV arrays.