Single or double vanity

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lizzie, 29th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Single or double

1. Single

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Double

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Don't care either way

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned - and I know a double is on trend - but I can't imagine anything worse than "dueling" toothbrushes in the bathroom.

We are building and I am planning on putting in an amazing 2m vanity in each bathroom, but only want to put a single vanity on top. Most people seem to agree with me, but also suggest putting in the double "just in case".

Do I do the double - or say "stuff it" and stick to my principles

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If you have 2m, and want to go for a bit of wow factor, I'd probably go for the double. I personally think its a stupid trend too, but at the end of the day, that is the trend.

wylie and Perthguy like this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Whichever one gives you more rental income.

Vanities do end up getting replaced and aren't the most expensive (in comparison to ripping up different color tiles).

If dual vanities are the in thing now, I would put this in and when it's out, it's probably due for a replacement.

4. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Single. You can still have his and hers sides of the basin without having the need for the cost of double sinks, double tap ware, double plumbing. And do something nice with the underbench storage.

All these people who turn their noses up and complain that there's not enough room for 2 people to get ready at the same time. I must be doing it wrong? Most houses have 2 bathrooms anyway. . .:p

Pumpkin, bob shovel, wylie and 3 others like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is a PPOR then go with what you want.

I can't see the point in double sinks. Then again, I can't see the point in double showers! Maybe I have been married too long!!
    Marg

6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Haven't gone the double shower route either. Yet. I do however tend to build them larger than a standard 900x900mm. At least in the ensuites. You'd be surprised how much more spacious even a 1200x900mm shower cubicle feels. Next house will have 2 shower heads. Not the usual 1 at each end mind, but rather a wall mounted head with an additional rain shower head with a switch between the two. Because for some reason girls don't like to get their hair wet every time they shower.

The Y-man and Perthguy like this.
  7. Marg4000

Totally agree about the larger shower. Ours is around 1100x900mm and much better than the smaller cubicles. Other bathroom is around 950x900mm.
    Marg

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's a PPOR - so single it is.

Was going to put the single towards one end (1/3rd in from the end) so there was plenty of space for makeup/hair at the other end. This is the buffet I'm going to use as the bases for both bathrooms. Everything else will be kept simple in white and greys. It's mangowood so will be fine in the wet area - fully aware I'll lose a vertical row of drawers to plumbing

Porto Big Drawer Buffet Multi | OZ Design Furniture & Homewares

I've only had one house with a double shower as was already installed. Never got used. Married to long too. The new showers will be walk in, with a single glass screen on the side - 1000x1500

EN710, wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I also never got the whole duel basin thing in an ensuite. We put the duel basins in the kids bathroom - much better idea and stops quite as many arguements in the morning.

bob shovel, teetotal and wylie like this.
  10. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

We did this and this... (although not sure on the exACT dimensions)

(Melbourne Plumber and Plumbing Supplies - McCann's Plumbing Supplies for Bathroom, Kitchen, Laundry and Plumbing supplies business in Melbourne and Geelong.)

and this... And if I say so myself, the results are awesome.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Get the 2 basins! I had a 2m vanity and thought the same thing, deleted the other basin when we built. 5 years later I ripped out the vanity and put in a double one. Would never go back to huddling around one! Its good when Im doing my makeup and he wants to wash his hands etc. I like a basin when doing my makeup as I make a mess and like to wash foundation etc off my hands as I'm going. 2m long gives you enough room to sit stuff in the centre of both (hand towel, soaps/candle/scented stick things etc)

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There's nothing like the whole family huddled around a 600 mm vanity brushing teeth, combing hair, doing lippy, shaving & arguing about access.

Perthguy and bob shovel like this.
  13. Marg4000

Would agree if only one bathroom.
    But initial post refers to "each bathroom" so at least two!
    Marg

14. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

LOL depends on the number of users per bathroom :D however I must admit in our recent bathroom reno the twin basins in our ensuite have actually been great- I love keeping mine pristine and my mirror side streak-free whilst my better half doesn't have quite the same enthusiasm. I also hate all those little bristly hairs left after shaving (fussy I know!) so if you've got the space and the budget I'd go the twin every time :)
    KAB_6598.jpg

wylie, freyja, Ginny L and 2 others like this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think double ... We have single basin at the moment and we need to bump each other every time we need to use the sink.
    One wide basin might work, but hey what if you need to rinse your face and he needs to wash his hand at the same time? :p
    Double shower is a must ;)

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We manage with a single sink, and before our second bathroom, five of us managed with one sink... actually one bathroom.

But, Lizzie, I'd think forward and add a second sink. Maybe a flat bottomed one that you can still use as bench? I think anything that helps for eventual sale is better done now.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Something like this with very low lip? Or even flatter so it "disappears"?

Attached Files:

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

On further thought - as it will be a 4 bed (3+large study with robe) I'll put a single in the ensuite and double in the main bathroom.

Perthguy, EN710 and thatbum like this.
  19. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have just had the main bathroom gutted and installed a double sink, tiles arrived this morning to do the ensuite, unfortunately ensuite is not big enough for 2 sinks - I always think of resale value when doing any renos, must be the REA in me :D

wylie, Perthguy and Jacque like this.
  20. Marlen

Marlen New Member

I prefer double vanity, it gives more individual space particularly for the couples and ideal for when you are doing grooming.:) It gives additional storage place too. What's more, it is trendy.
    Also, I have seen that every trendy bathroom has a suction shower mirror attached to the wall. I think that it turns into a trend now, double vanity sinks with suction mirrors. Is it true?