Single income $80k can borrow up to $567k after APRA changes

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Abooking, 26th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Abooking

Abooking Well-Known Member

I read this with interest:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/ban...ve-100-000-lending-boost-20190524-p51qx7.html

I had to laugh at the obvious point that a singleton earning $80k cannot possibly afford to pay back a loan of $567k. Ok they can maybe rent out the property but do they then have to move in with the folks.

Am I missing something here or is this just adding fire to the fuel of increased household debt across Australia?

Cia likes this.
  2. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I don't know what a single person on 80k can or cannot afford.
    But I am looking forward to seeing if this translates into my family having better serviceability. We are a single income family with 6 kids, so our serviceability absolutely sucks. Rediculously so. And its not that we cannot afford it in reality. It's simply that way the banks calculates affordability doesn't match up with the reality of our situation.

jprops likes this.
  3. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Such having a quick look at your figures:

Mortgage of $567k has repayments of $2655 per month (using CBA calc).
    80k income is approximately $5066 after tax per month (using paycalculator.com.au)

That leaves that single person approximately $2411 each month to spend on everything else.
    I know that may not meet what banks and financial gurus say is a good percentage of income going towards a mortgage.
    But it doesn't appear completely unreasonable to me that a single person could actually live off $2400 a month after their mortgage has been paid??? Especially as they have no other debt according to this senario.

JohnPropChat, Cia, skater and 3 others like this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I too think a single person can live on $2400 per month. You'd certainly have to watch your spending though.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

2400 a mth is well below HEM for all lenders for a single person i believe

We have clients that live on less than 1000 a mth, and some on > 20 000 a month ...........

ta
    rolf

6. Abooking

A repayment of $2655 PCM / $6666 (gross monthly income) = 39%. Its way too high.

What happens if rates go up????

I don't know why APRA aims to save the precious oz property market. Why not let the market correct itself? We've had unsustainable increases for many years. Let the market sort itself out. Same as when the equity market bubble bursts eg. Nasdaq. Its at the end of the cycle surely.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

DSR of 35 to 40 has historically been the upper limit.............

I was one of the people that though APRA would never roll over to much of an extent from its 2015 anchors , because it would be an admittance that they came in too hard, to late, and got caught on the back foot in the " Prudent lending piece"...........

ta
    rolf

ta
    rolf

8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Take home pay on minimum wage $37500 per year is about $2800/month
    People survive and that and they have to pay rent

JohnPropChat, MC1, 2FAST4U and 8 others like this.
  9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Renters dont have to pay council and water rates, strata fees, home and possibly contents insurance, they dont pay for HWS that stop working and many other maintenance related items.

2FAST4U likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How much is the dole?

11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

It also explains why other parts of the economy are really struggling , especially around domestic spending, everyone is trying to cut down on costs to remain competitive.

2FAST4U likes this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

About $1100 per month depending on circumstance eg how many aliases you're claiming under lol.

13. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I just plugged in an income of $80k for a single. Assuming an owner occupier, with no other debt (not even a credit card) and living right on the HEM...

Borrowing capacity is currently about $500k. It's fairly consistent across several lenders, plus or minus about $10k.

If the assessment rate drops by 0.5%, the borrowing capacity increases by about $25k.

Looking forward with APRA's, "Suggested," policy. If you factor in a couple of rate cuts, then a customer rate of 3.5% and a 2.5% assessment buffer to a rate of 6.0%, then the borrowing capacity becomes $567,091 with the CBA. Other lenders will be very close.

Keep in mind this assumes no other debt at all and declaring living expenses to be on the HEM figure. Most lenders would probably question an application with living expenses that specific.

Last edited: 26th May, 2019
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes but they might pay $350 a week rent.

After paying "rent" (the loan repayment) the OP has about the same amount to live on that the minimum wage owner has to pay all the expenses from. .

Last edited: 26th May, 2019
  15. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I dont think your original numbers make sense regarding income and take home pay.
    A few years back I was on $22.50 an hour full time , less take home pay than your figures and paying a lot more tax .
    And very few people on low incomes would not have a car loan or are paying higher fees in maintenance related isuues with older vehicles.
    Not having a car works okay for many that work in CBD , but for many that work in industrial areas with 6-7 am starts there is no public transport.
    Many jobs advertise this fast. There is no public transport.

16. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Many young people on this income would have HECS payments. That's another $100/week gone. You could certainly do it but I don't think it's ideal. You'd want to be able to pay more than the bare minimum mortgage repayment too. The interest on that big of a loan would be quite significant.

2FAST4U likes this.
  17. Abooking

why dont you factor in rate increases and see how that holds up! ha ha

18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Rates are constantly being lowered because wages have been stagnating and job security is being reduced. Little wonder small business is struggling with all those consumption dollars being sucked out of the economy with excessive loan repayments.

If interest rates rose a lot of people would be struggling. This is not a sign of a 'good' economy, nor will it help improve it. Borrowing 550k on a 80k income for a PPOR is insane.

JohnPropChat and Cimbom like this.
  19. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

Heard from my broker that WBC will revise its HEM figures up in June. If that happens even with
    rate cut(s) and/or APRA assessment threshold change, it *may* still end up square one at least
    with WBC.

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Raise it by how much though? Greater than CPI?