Single bedroom dwelling battleaxe requirements

Discussion in 'Development' started by Clayton Sharp, 14th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Does anybody know what the minimum lot size would be for an R20 single bedroom dwelling battleaxe? I know the standard requirement is 450m2 but is that reduced by a third for the density bonus?

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

maybe look at going down the grouped dwelling route, using the minimum of 350 and then using the density bonus.

Looking to sell separately or increase yield?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Two ways you can do it

Battleaxe with own driveway and you'd most likely need 291 sqm but at least 231sqm for the actual dedicated lot area of the house - leaving 60sqm for the driveway

Alternative as @HD_ACE says under Grouped Dwelling rules with a common driveway with front house and dedicated area of 231sqm.

4. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Thanks. Would probably rent for a bit to get the CGT discount then sell.

Westminster, how did you calculate the 291 sqm?

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure the single bedroom dwelling concessions apply to battleaxe lots. If you have a look at the R-Codes, it says:
    Subject to clause 5.1.1 C1.3 only, the following variations to the minimum and average site area set out in Table 1 may be made:
    i. for the purposes of an aged or dependent persons’ dwelling or a single bedroom dwelling, the site area may be reduced by up to one third, in accordance with clauses 5.5.2 and 5.5.3 which shall only be applied where development is proposed;​

In Table 1, minimum and average site area are in column 3 and I would assume the clause applies to column 3. Minimum lot area/rear battleaxe is column 4 and nothing in the above clause indicates the cluase applies to column 4. I could certainly be wrong on this but that is the way I am reading it.

Having a look at the explanatory guidelines, it states:

A density variation or concession for an aged or dependent persons’ dwelling and single bedroom dwellings is incorporated under clause 5.1.1 C1.4i of the R-Codes. The concession is calculated by reducing the minimum and/or average site area requirements by one-third and calculating the number of aged or dependent persons’ dwellings or single bedroom dwellings accordingly. For example, under the R20 Code, each dwelling requires a site area of 450m2. Application of the density concession may reduce this down to 300m2.​

So for R20, the minimum lot size of 450m2 may be reduced down to 300m2.

And then in WAPC Policy No. DC 2.2 (Development Control Policy 2.2 - Residential Subdivision) it says:

3.6.5 In areas which are subject to the R-Codes, the minimum lot area will be as set out in Clause 5.1.1 and Column 4 of Table 1 of the R-Codes. The WAPC will not permit reductions in the minimum or average lot sizes set by the R-Codes in respect of battleaxe subdivisions.​

So I would say this definitely rules out a single bedroom battleaxe.

I would say the 2 options are Survey Strata with with a common property drive through WAPC, or a Strata through Council. I think the example in the Explanatory Guidlines is out of date. It uses the old 450m2 minimum under the previous codes. I think @Westminster is (almost) right with the 231sqm (except I would have said 233sqm)

@Clayton Sharp, the R-Codes say the site area may be reduced by up to one third, so for example:
    * minimum site area is 350 sqm
    * 1/3 of 350 is ~117 sqm.
    * 350 - 117 = 233 sqm (reducing the minimum site area by one third)

If you are thinking of doing a regular block at the front and a single bedroom behind though, get ready for Council to have problems. There are no guidelines that I am aware of for calculating the average lot size of 2 lots where one lot is a regular lot and one lot is a single bedroom dwelling lot. Essentially a planning officer would have to reduce half of the average by one third. I can see some people would have trouble figuring that out.

Also be aware that councils have their own policies on single bedroom dwellings, so it would be good to find out what they are up front. Example:

http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/docum...icy_statements/planningdevelop_serv/apd56.pdf

I would say it is definitely doable though. Some councils really see the benefits of this type of housing.

Out of interest (from the City of Cockburn):
    Minimum Site Area
    The R-Codes provide for a variation to the minimum site area required to
    erect a Single Bedroom Dwelling(s). The variation is a reduction by up to one
    third. Based on this, the land area required is as follows based on different
    density codes across the City:
    • R20 – 233.33m2
    • R25 – 200.00m2
    • R30 – 173.33m2
    • R40 – 120.00m2
    • R50 – 106.66m2
    • R60 – 80.00m2
    • R80 – 66.66m2​

Skuttles likes this.
  6. Westminster

As @Perthguy alluded to I was flying blind a little on that and thinking how a town planner would look at it. Town Planners want 233sqm dedicated lot area (not driveway/common area) for a R20 SBD. Using the assumption that there may be a 1/3rd concession on the 450sqm normal battle axe lot size I got 291sqm. However as I said the council would expect there to be 233sqm for the dedicated lot area which only leaves you 60sqm of driveway. If the driveway needs to be longer then it would need to be more than 291sqm in total.

I do agree with @Perthguy that it's really only considered in a grouped dwelling scenario and I'm not sure that anyone has considered it in a proper battle axe scenario

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Thanks @Perthguy & @Westminster.

Another question, are 'reverse battle axes' acceptable to council. Ie the front of the block meets the min frontage requirement of 10m but then reduces down to say 5m to fit around the existing house?

8. Westminster

9. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Sorry @Westminster, was referring to a non-battleaxe alternative. Heres a pic:
    upload_2016-1-16_13-32-41.png
    Wondering if council disapprove of odd shaped developments like that? Just trying to find and alternative to battleaxe.

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would want a block like that...?

11. Westminster

It might be possible that way. How far is it before it would need to go to down 6m. You need to have 1-1.5m next to the existing house.

I have a few 4.5m wide designs that can fit in a 6m wide area.

How big is the block overall?

12. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Block is 820 sqm. There is 9m from the front boundary to the exiting dwelling which would then go down the 6m at the side.

13. Westminster

Is it a good area @Clayton Sharp , is the existing house worth anything?
    I would consider applying to WAPC to make 2 x 10m x 41m blocks
    They have the power at the moment to approve side by side or street frontage blocks on regular or corner blocks at the minimum size.
    This may be more feasible than keeping existing and adding a SBD.

14. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Thats very good to know @Westminster is that documented anywhere?

The existing house (our ppor) is in pretty good condition so i dont think it would be as feasible as a SBD

15. Westminster

No sorry not document. Chinese whisper type policy gossip but I believe it to be true.

If you do the SBD something like this would fit (but smaller to meet 70sqm) if you do them both street frontage. I'm not convinced you need to have the 10m frontage for a SBD though

[​IMG]

16. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

Youve given me alot to think about @Westminster. Thanks!

17. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

@Westminster, I am warming to this idea, what is the process for applying to WAPC? Would I need to get a town planner and surveyer and have plans drawn up or do they do some sort of 'in principle' ruling?

18. Westminster

You would need to engage a surveyor and they can apply for you. I use LandDivision and they can draw it up the proposed blocks, justification and submit it. It will cost $3-5000 but it might be well worth it

Surveyors, Perth Surveyors, Town Planners & Land Surveyors | The Land Division - Perth WA

You also need to consider the tax aspects of doing this - as you would if you did the SBD on your PPOR block as there may be CGT implications.

Sackie likes this.
  19. Clayton Sharp

Clayton Sharp Member

20. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Vision surveys are another option. Do good reliable work.
    A Survey will set you back around the 1k mark. And WAPC application fee will cost you just over the 3k mark.
    Good luck.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia