QLD similar property - huge price difference?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Dawnie, 21st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dawnie

Dawnie New Member

I am new to the property buying process and looking north brisbane atm
    Lots of open houses to try and gather some info from groundwork
    One suburb in my radar (mcdowall) has 2 properties recently sold. I think similar qualities
    Links below
    I think the first property is quite high price but still reasonable. Second property similar size, funny layout, but over one million?
    Always enjoy reading this forum and hoping some gurus can help me understand why the difference is so huge?
    To me similar properties in same suburb. Good street appeal both. Similar size... am I missing something obvious? Even a 6 bedroom recently didn’t go one million.
    Haven’t bought but wanting to learn more so when I see one I like (similar to these two. Land size can be a bit smaller) I know how to offer competitively. I would have offered 750 000- 800 000 for both properties but only new in game. Still shock I missed the second property by a long shot.

18 Devito Place, McDowall, Qld 4053 - Property Details

15 Evergreen Place, McDowall, Qld 4053 - Property Details

Many thanks!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

*Very* easy to see difference.
    18 Devito is right next to power lines. (and a big rd)

The Y-man

Greyghost likes this.
  3. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Hi @Dawnie, welcome to PC.
    I'd say the proximity to 'Old Northern Road' would be the biggest factor (18 DeVito). You'd be able to hear that road clear as day / all day. Plus there is heaps more house @ 15 Evergreen, and more modern to boot.

4. Dawnie

Dawnie New Member

I see power line now.
    It is one house away from northern road. Still a big factor? Technically I thought that would be considered one street away?
    I don’t know if I see the one million value in second house I think. Okay quieter street no lines, close to school but 300 000 more is a lot more.
    I think I need more time in this property ground work but also may mean mcdowall no longer achievable for me. Everton park good on paper but driving around not as nice feeling.

5. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Second one is a nicer house with 3 car garage and extra room/study :) not to mention pool. Looks renovated though as tiles look pretty old fashioned, angular layout and pool is oddly shaped

Buyers probably fell in love with the place and overpaid slightly.

Way I calculate is based on fittings and internal floorspace. So first house maybe worth $1000/sqm and second maybe $1250sqm

So first house let's say 300sqm 300k
    Second house 400sqm 500k

So 200k difference. Then factor in land maybe 500k-600k. Then discount 100k for bad location as these are probably owner occupier family homes.