Shut Down - NSW/VIC What will you be doing?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 22nd Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You've got loads of time to spare and you're bored. Google "learn cryptic crosswords" and find a resource. Despite their strange appearance, they're really quite logical, once you learn the techniques. Learning new skills can develop neural pathways, which in some circumstances can provide some protection against dementia.

ellejay and Lizzie like this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i didnt want to start another poll, as I might be seen as a poll troll whore

but here is my question

whats your mindset throughout this lockdown?

are you
    - excited
    - worried
    - panic
    - indifferent

and why?

Im a little bit of worry for the whole situation but at the same time a little excited (morbid I know) that this is the first time soemthing like this has happened and im going to do try new things, im not worried about running out of food or any supplies

Last edited: 23rd Mar, 2020
  3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

The only thing I am concerned about is being cooped up. Hopefully things return to normal sooner rather than later. I am not an indoors type person.

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I belong to a coffee group, that's out of the question at the moment - one friend suggested Skype, so I guess I will have to learn Skype and talk to friends via this medium. I can still go for a walk around the lake of a morning, that always cheers me up ... :)

5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I'm feeling fairly indifferent about things so far. Did my numbers and i will be able to withstand the economical downturn even without a wage or rental income for a long time so on that front i'm good.
    Definitely worried about the elderly in my community/family though but everyone seems to be taking precautions so hoping for the best.

I'm an introvert by nature so social distancing is not a a worry for me. Not being allowed outdoors to exercise or doing hiking and so on would be a completely different story though.

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

minimum 6 months is what they are saying! I was initially thinking absolute best case scenario would be 1 month, but that idea went out the window quickly

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I will be working o_O

I worry about how the economy going, people I know is on the verge of losing their jobs
    I am kinda excited about how cheap VAS has gotten
    I am vexed with not having much cash to buy them
    No panic.

Need to look at exercise other than swimming as Gym closed. I am thinking to restart my running.

ellejay likes this.
  8. GoldCoastBound

GoldCoastBound Well-Known Member

we'll be still selling physical products 24/7 online in the USA...no change here

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

im going to do a lot more online shopping, that I can guarnatee

10. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

I'm going to upskill with some short courses also do some research into some hobby areas

larrylarry likes this.
  11. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

As a retired introvert, pretty much nothing changes for me. I'll keep walking my dogs, participating in forums, surfing the internet, computer programming, playing my backlog of PS4 games (had to get a new controller to last the potential 6 month lock down distance), and watching TV/netflix. If anything, I'll get dragged to the shops less often and won't have to hug and kiss rellos, so I'm not seeing a downside at this time. :)

Danyool and Lizzie like this.
  12. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Work as usual. Remotely and from my company offices. My client is classed as an essential service and we don't stop.

13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Bunbury likes this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Went for a walk, I see a lot of parents taking toddlers to the park, and quite a few tradies working as per normal,

even saw a dog lying in the middle of the road (and yes it was alive)

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I wonder why don't we do the same every flu season.You know, social distancing, halting the economy and destroying industries/livelihood.

We've been fighting the Flu as a collective for over a 100 years and it still causes around 3,500 deaths and about 18,000 hospitalisations each year in Australia alone. Yet, we don't see panic or hoarding. Worldwide numbers are still terrifying as per below.

"In theory, COVID-19 could spread further and faster than flu," notes microbiologist Alex Berezow, vice president of scientific communications at the American Council on Science and Health. Yet so far, he says, "it doesn't appear to be doing that….Every year, up to 1 billion people around the world get influenza and about 300,000 to 500,000 will die. The average seasonal flu case-fatality rate is 0.1%. But the sheer volume of cases means that, in the U.S. alone, 22,000 to 55,000 Americans have already died of flu during the 2019-20 season."

Two Reasons the Worst-Case Scenarios for COVID-19 Seem Unrealistic

I can understand that people are afraid of the unknown and with the Flu we know what to expect and Covid-19 being a new virus , brings a lot of uncertainty with it but i feel like the way we handled this, as a population was abysmal(panic and hoarding) which forced the hand of governments to closures and quarantines (inept governments nevertheless...)

17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Good to see,
    I went for a walk today, and lots of people taking their kids to the local park, and generally being/trying to get fit

nothing beats the feeling you get when you do some physical exercise

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Today I did some unicycle stuff (putting on a brake) and cleaned the house (somewhat). A happy day. :)