Shower screen removal

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Investaa, 28th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Investaa

Investaa Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

As part of a bathroom renovation, we need to remove the existing shower screen without damaging it and to reuse it after we tiled the shower area, the shower screen is in a good condition and is not very dated so we would like to keep it.

How this can be removed? I watched some videos from Bunnings and youtube but not very detailed.
    Do you know any good resource and guide for this removal and installation?

Or do know any handyman in northern Melbourne area to be able to help me with this one?

Thanks in advance,

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Plenty of different methods & it depends on the type of showerscreen:
    1. Hammer, pan & broom (preferred for most showerscreens due to the low value of a framed shower screen and the time it takes to salvage the thing)
    2. Cut out the silicone under the frameless glass, make sure that you put packers back under a few places to resupport the glass before cutting out large areas of silicone. With several hefty bods and glass lifters carefully unscrew the fittings on the door and remove. Cut the vertical silicone joint and unscrew the fixings, repeat for the removal of the side panels. Probably 2-3 hours for 3 people & glass lifters. Likelihood is that the slope of the new floor won't match the new floor and your efforts will be wasted.
    My preference is for #1 regardless of the type of shower.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Every time I've remodeled a bathroom and wanted to keep the existing shower screen/s, I've been told I cannot. The new tiles will almost certainly be a different height etc after waterproofing, screeding and new tile glue & tiles.

4. nobhouse

nobhouse Active Member

You need the right people with the right tools to do that job, but then does make it sense paying someone $150-200 to recycle an old shower screen when you can buy it brand new for $200-250?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's why point 1) is relevant.