QLD Should we give up on Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by standtall, 21st Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Chinese will prefer the Chinese infrastructure (restaurants, shops, etc.,). They will aggregate so even Sydney and Melbourne only a selection of suburbs boomed. But excellent public schools will always be the best bet if Chinese is the group one is targeting.

2. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Plenty of suburbs did double digit growth from 2003 if not earlier in SE qld

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Queens Wharf
    At $3.5 billion the project will deliver over 1,000 hotel rooms across five hotels, a residential precinct of 2,000 units, a 100 metre sky deck, 50 bars and restaurants and a pedestrian bridge connection to Southbank.Due out of the ground 2020, main resort open 2022, and refers of the heritage parts around treasury due open 2024..

Brisbane Live (Roma st)
    Demo due to start 2020, massive project taking up half the block so is due for a 4-5yr project to 2025. Populous are involved and are the makers of some pretty impressive international designs.. $2 billion development of an entertainment precinct located on top of the Roma Street rail interchange hub. Facilities include a $450 million, 17,000-seat arena along with multiplex cinemas, an amphitheatre and proposed commercial, residential and hotel towers.

Cross river rail 5.4b
    Due for completion 2024 & By 2036, forecasts expect 90,000 people travelling to work each day in the morning peak hours, so the $5.4 billion project will deliver a 10.2 kilometre rail link from Dutton Park to Bowen Hills, with 5.9 kilometres of tunnel under the Brisbane River and CBD, connecting to both northern and southern rail networks in and out of the CBD.

Howard smith wharfs - completed
    valued at $110 million, the redevelopment of this 3.4 hectare site has a 5-star "Art Series" hotel, exhibition space, restaurants and a new riverside parkland.

Brisbane metro
    Still under the approval and funding processes, $944 million development proposes a high frequency, high capacity public transport system along a 21km route servicing 18 stations.
    Based in Southbank, services potentially completed 2023/2024 if delays are sorted soon

Throw in the airport redevelopment and we are talking a good $15b approved in these alone. There’s also another $15b+ that are in the pipeline

Jobs are also expected to increase in the CBD and fringe markets, an estimated 65,000 jobs over the next decade.

Brisbane's economy is forecast to increase 70% in international tourist visitors in the next decade, leading to over 105 million visitor nights in 2026-27.

I think it would make us have a good case for the olympics as well all though a long way off.. look what happened to Sydney after they got it.

If that doesn’t make you excited about Brisbane’s potential or even lifestyle to live here..

It’s Hardly a country town, and as others have said before you could do MUCH worse with your $$. At these interest rates, values, and potential, I don’t personally see better value elsewhere and am happy to wait for the growth. As it will come in time.

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2019
  4. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Economic growth in Brisbane is not that flash at the moment.

Population is spread out between Sunshine / Brisbane / Goldie. Plenty of land around too. So its not gonna run hard like Sydney/Melbs where there's limited supply and higher demand factors.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

In the outskirts, true. However in the BBC rings, you are landlocked. If someone holds a $1m property today, it could realistically be worth twice that in ten years. If they can only afford a $500k to $600k place in that 10-20 k zone, surely these too will appreciate well.

Rich2011 likes this.
  6. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I would still invest in the inner ring 2km to 5km from the CBD.
    The ripple effect would happen more often in the area.
    Example - Ascot is expensive, but just 2km out Hendra have the same feel for just 5 mins drive, but half the cost.
    Personally I would invest in the triangle of growth north side or the south side.
    Unfortunately these area aren't high yield - it needs to be negative gear. But so far it has more than out pace in growth x 5 than I am negative gear.

7. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

For anyone wanting a quick breakdown of some of the Brisbane developments going on I stumbled upon this:
    Link

Only a short cameo at 1min mark but at least the graphic is decent.

8. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Looks good. 49.5b worth is a lot of activity. I for one am actually very excited about Brisbane over the next 10yrs

9. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Brisbane is completely different from Sydney or Melbourne as far as growth %
    Will increase by 2-3% for 7 years and 20-25% in 3 years to make up imo

Whitecat and Patrick Bateman like this.
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

in the 90s, Brissie used to be the branch capital of oz.

no longer..........

ta

rolf

11. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I think your right, see attached.
    I think I’ve posted this before but like to refer back to it occasionally when people down talk brisbane like it never does anything, 1970 Sydney’s median house price was 70% more expensive, as of end of last year brisbane’s House price hit $673k and if we add 70% we get 1.14m or approx Syd price?

So even after near 50yrs of Sydney “outperforming” the growth has sat relatively the same. It’s just Sydney does nothing for periods & has negative years (8x negative years counting recent & 3x 0%) that’s 11yrs of backwards/nothing. So the booms look harder.

In saying that, Brisbane has only had 3 negative years & many very average ones, but has had 8 years we’re growth exceeded 25-30% growth.

I don’t have any other charts or data but it would appear brisbane kicks in at the tail end of Sydney, & Given brisbane didn’t have it’s time to shine due to apra intervention & cutting the other 2 capitals off, With Sydney & melb kicking back off again or coming back to equilibrium, lending starting to loosen a little, cuts, migration, projects, jobs, sentiment and media forecasts, I see it being very possible brisbane getting back to some of these boom years within the next 5.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2019
  12. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I have driven down the coast road from Brisbane to Sydney this week, and taken an interest in some of the towns along the way and the price real estate is selling for:

Coffs Harbour $700k
    Port Macquarie $600k
    Gosford $700k
    Newcastle $1M

These are regional hubs. They aren't constrained for land and they have bugger all serious jobs. Yet they are trumping the median for Brisbane? ($550k) doesn't make sense. Looking at the price growth they seem to have been rippling beneficiaries of the Sydney boom.

I am staying in a cookie cutter 2 bed apartment in Mascot. I can see the aeroplanes flying over. It took me an hour to get from the bridge to here in peak hour. It would sell for $1.2m. I could get a palatial modern home with a pool and yard within the 10k ring from Brisbane CBD with a 20min commute to the CBD for that.

Brisbane will boom at some point in the future. The arbitrage alone will take care of that.
    Like most investments it will be obvious in hindsight.

13. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

I’m in the same area. Interested to hear how you went.

14. Danieljk101

Danieljk101 Well-Known Member

In Chermside West, 840 SQM, DA approved block (2x400) and can’t even get 610k for it. Probably just going to keep it for a while... GO QLD...

wilso8948 and nuzullandchicky like this.
  15. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Chermside's got a bit of a 'Brisbane's 2nd CBD' reputation to it no? At first guess I'd reason that the right property in adjacent suburbs would be a good long-term play given proximity to jobs and amenities.

Whitecat and Foxdan like this.
  16. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I have owned a former ppor (house) 10km from the CBD that I bought for $400k in 2009...it is now worth...wait for it.. $580k. It's not a terrible suburb by any means.

Less than 50% growth in 10 years is quite poor no matter which way you want to spin it. In Sydney or Melbourne I would have made 100-200%. Brisbane has a lot to answer for...

Whitecat and Elives like this.
  17. VanillaSlice

VanillaSlice Well-Known Member

which suburb is this if you don't mind sharing ?

18. nuzullandchicky

nuzullandchicky Well-Known Member

Why is Brisbane compared to Sydney and Melbourne so frequently? I could compare Sydney to Auckland and Melbourne to Hamilton in NZ although comparable they are completely different; just like SYD, MEL, BNE. They will each blossom in their own time.

wylie and Zizi like this.
  19. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

everyone knows there is a line at northern NSW where we will give up everything North of that line when the chinesee turn up...

Bris really does suck......albeit it has had some growth.... too much XXXX perhaps ?