Should we get this fixed?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Ouga, 5th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Hi guys,

So we have the concrete cancer issue as shown in the photos attached - this is a house.
    This is affecting the edges of the patio leading from the gate to the front door as well as the edges along the front terrace.

Judging from the condition of the metal and how eaten is has been by rust, I am guessing it has been this way for many years (house is 30 years old). I am guessing the issue is a waterproofing one at construction. I can see rust has been propagating along the edge as the tiles are cracked (see photo).

My dilemma is: should I get this repaired? Will it be spreading to the slab or is it likely to remain located only along the edges?
    I know concrete cancer is a pain in the a** and keeps on propagating if left untouched. I know the remedial process is also a rather complex and expensive one (remove the tiles, remove all concrete affected, clean the metal back to bare, add more rods if required, waterproof and reseal, adding extra concrete before finally putting the tiles back on).

It is an expensive exercise that once complete will be completely invisible!
    The cosmetic aspect of it does not bother me, but what I am concerned about is whether there is a risk, perhaps a structural one?

Is there something I can do to slow the propagation, like siliconing the exposed rods and visible cracks?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      792.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      694.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      756.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      917.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looks relatively minor (low risk) but should be fixed to prevent it getting worse.

Reo has insufficient cover to the edge of the slab, you'll need to take off the tiles on the slab edge, cut back the unsound concrete & reo. Drill & epoxy in a few new dowels, new galvanised bar to replace the corroded bar then apply waterproof concrete/high strength cement render and replace tiles.

Low risk as it is ground floor, fully supported on brickwork and the remainder of slab appears to be sound.

(just a guess, I am not an ingunear)

Ouga, Sackie, D.T. and 2 others like this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm not expert either, but sounds like @Scott No Mates knows what he's on about.
    Have you had anyone come out to take a look at it?
    Might be worthwhile getting some quotes.

Ouga likes this.
  4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Thanks @Scott No Mates for the reply - it's greatly appreciated. Good to know it looks minor, I wasn't too sure of how bad it appeared.

I might try and get a couple quotes @Azazel

Thanks guys