Should we build 2 townhouse and sell or sell land with permit - Ringwood

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Chung Le, 15th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chung Le

Chung Le Active Member

Hi Guy - got another quick question to ask:

Mom bought a property in Ringwood, very close to Eastland shopping, quite cheap, less than $500K but near big power line ( half the the backyard cover by this power line easement). But i am currently doing DA and should be able to put 2 townhouse on this - side by side, 2 storey, all min 3 bedroom each, could do 4 bed if i want but wanted to keep construction cost down a bit, around 170sqm each house. Try to stay as far from the power line as possible .

If DA approved, i can have half of her block for $300k, 275k to build, and hopefully can sell for $750k plus in this market. Mom going to sell her as well.

Question is : Should we go head to build these 2 townhouse or may be just sell the land with planning permit - If we sell the land with permit - may be around $650-700k max at this moment.

i feeling a bit risky to build these 2 townhouse. But again, did some research in this area - 2 bedroom - single storey brick house nearby sold for 600 2 years ago, sold in 2 weeks.

Really need to decide if we going to build this or not, if not, at least i can use the deposit to invest in somewhere else.

Thank all.

CL

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

All comes down to the numbers. If you can get 25-30% gross return on TDC then it may be worth it. If you feel there is imminent market risk then you can incorporate a sensitivity analysis to see where the numbers fall.

Chung Le likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Big power lines will be a major deterrent to buyers.
    Be very sure you are getting accurate advice on the likely sale price you will achieve.
    Marg

4. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

So if you develop the townhouses you're looking at a sale price of $1.5 million for both based on your figures which leaves a profit of circa $450,000 ($1.5m - $550k construction - $500k purchase price). It's not clear if your build cost includes other development costs such as infrastructure charges. There will also be agent's commission to take off this amount.

If you sell, your profit is going to be circa $150,000 to $200,000 less development approval and agent's costs.

The above assumes a purchase price of $500,000 which you have said it's actually just below this so profit will be slightly higher.

As long as you have the capital and ability to carry out the development and your numbers are correct, developing looks like the clear winner.

Chung Le likes this.
  5. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Don’t forget GST and the margin scheme

Chung Le likes this.
  6. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

If it is the property I am thinking of that we also looked at purchasing then be really careful with your anticipated sales prices. Those power lines are BIG.

Tools

Chung Le likes this.
  7. Chung Le

Chung Le Active Member

Thank all for your advises, just look at the number again, if includes GST, i dont think we make lot of $$$ compare to sale the land with permit. So may be no build on this one.

CL

8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Don't forget if you build it will also take time (opportunity cost), stress, effort, potential disagreements with your mum, and trust in the right builder. Selling with the DA is a lot more straightforward if you are unsure of the outcome.

Chung Le likes this.
  9. Chung Le

Chung Le Active Member

agreed - mom wanted to build but i think i will be able to convince her not to. Too much effort,stress and probably profit will be pretty much the same as we just sell the land with permit.

CL

10. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

If figures are similar either way, I would only look at building if there was good potential upside, but with the powerlines there's probably only risk and very much a ceiling on the finished dwellings.

11. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Have you seen these 2 properties:

2 Margaret Street Ringwood Vic 3134 - House for Sale #127528382 - realestate.com.au

2/3 Margaret Street Ringwood Vic 3134 - Townhouse for Sale #122127438 - realestate.com.au

Both are very close to some massive power lines.

I don't think they'll get 750K for the townhouse, but worth keeping an eye on it to see what your product might be worth if you decided to build and sell.

Also, selling with plans & permits might be difficult for 650-700K. I suspect a lot of potential developers would also be hesitant to build. I don't think there's enough of a buffer to justify the risk.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

More risk building at this stage of the cycle?
    Take the money and run... just my opinion

Also selling a build near power lines we mean significant discount. This is very much a negative, been down this road myself and your market is very limited when selling.

Chung Le likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Bank finance can be diffcult if within 50-100 meters of power line.....

Chung Le likes this.
  14. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Get proper tax advice if you proceed with the development but the GST will likely be less than you think once you account for GST credits/apply the margin scheme. The alternative is capital gains tax unless it is a PPOR so you will be up for a tax bill either way.

Chung Le likes this.
  15. Chung Le

Chung Le Active Member

Our development site is next to these 2 houses. i also know this one : No 15 Hillcrest Avenue - next to 2 Margaret St - sold for $740k. have permit to build 2 house - liveabel condition though. Our current development site is not liveable through, so just buying land.

15 Hillcrest Avenue, Ringwood, Vic 3134 - Property Details

CL

16. Chung Le

Chung Le Active Member

i agreed, may be better just take the money and run, there are many other opportunity in property development. This type development probably for those investor who can build, that way they make little more money than us.

17. Chung Le

Chung Le Active Member

My broker did warn me about this as well. damn those power line really killing everything, but then again, we did bought it at a very good/cheap price.

18. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

19. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

No point of wasting money getting permits that anyone can get (unless your permit is something more substantive then what a builder/developer could get themselves). 2 on a block is nothing special on a typical block size in Ringwood. Sell without permit would be the way to go and sell now when the market is still OK as in a down turn there may be a real risk of no one buying even on a big discount

20. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Chung Le likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia