Should the Victorian Government Fund Greek Citizens to resettle

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chilliblue, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Should the Victorian Government Fund Greek Citizens to resettle

Poll closed 14th Jul, 2015.
  1. Yes

9.5%
  2. No

81.0%
  3. Other (please details)

9.5%
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

My parents were born in Greece but I was born here. I am so sick and tired of armchair experts posting their rubbish here and on other forums. Before the current government, Greece had a liberal conservative government. They did everything they were told. And still the economy ended in the toilet. Greece will never ever get out of this hole and the world knows it. So statements like "Greece has had a lot of years to fix their mess, and they have done zip about it, apparently" are wrong at best.

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

How does have any relevance to this argument?

Yes, Aus citizens live here, and the GUbb is made up of Aus citizens, and therefore make decisions based on how they pertain to the wellbeing of the whole Country.

Are you saying they don't have the right to decide who lives here or not?

What is your point here?

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Look at how well the original inhabitants did out of this country

4. Chilliblue

What is your solution then. What do you think needs to be done by Greece and what should the international community do?

5. Bayview

Well; did it happen overnight that they are soo far in the red? of course not - it took several years as I said. Why do you have a problem with that statement - it's merely stating a fact.

How it occurred is probably a well kept secret. All the media pundits - who may be as ignorant as everyone else about it - all state that there is a series of things which have lead to their current financial position. I don't profess to know what that is, and I'm not argiung about what those issues are.

The truth about their finances has been kept secret apparently, so we are all ignorant armchair experts in that regard. They would not be the first Gubb of a Country to do that.

I heard that at the time they applied for the Olympics - which was a cost $12bill Euros? They were already in the toilet, but kept the real figure hidden. That has not been confirmed, and I don't really care if it was true or not.

But; If they were going that bad; why take it on? Maybe they were trying to trade their way back to prosperity through the increased revenue from the Games, or maybe it was pure blind pride and ego that they had to have the historic year Games at its original site...who knows.

And you still haven't answered my question - take your angry hat off and answer it sensibly;

Let's assume you are the PM, and you implement your policy of open gates to all, no limits; if you think we should let everyone come here; how will it be funded to support all of them - and our existing citizens?

Don't get all angry and start to get stuck into me; just give me your fiscal proposal.
    Without that; your idea - as admirable as it is - will fail terribly, and everyone here already as well as the new arrivals; will lose.

Doncossack likes this.
  6. Bayview

What has this got to do with this argument?

It is about taking in economic refugees - or not.

I'm just putting it to all of you that it is not that simple to do; despite how we feel emotionally about it.

I don't think we - as a Country - can afford it financially; is all.

I'll be more than happy for anyone to lay out a plan here to illustrate how it can work; instead of starting up an emotional rant at me.

We can all be as tree-hugging and hand-wringing as we like, but at the end of the day; we have to deliver a Country that can pay its way and support itself.

But now, everyone is turning it into some sort of evil racist or other issue, and trying to play the guilt card.

7. Chilliblue

I do agree with you Bayview and was not having a go.

Bayview likes this.
  8. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

9. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

You didn't even address what I said. Address the issue. If are going to just answer question you pose to yourself, then I guess you win.

Before the current government, Greece had a liberal conservative government. They did everything they were told. And still the economy ended in the toilet. Greece will never ever get out of this hole and the world knows it.

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Jul, 2015
    Bayview likes this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

11. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Any solution must involve debt relief, if there is to be a solution.

But that isn't my solution. I would let the country collapse. I would have let the world collapse during the GFC. People are all for a free market when it suits them and government handouts when they need it.

Bayview likes this.
  12. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

in regards to pension, the government will continue to pay your pension for the first four weeks whilst overseas after that its CUT off.

who's country is this again?

13. Bayview

So far in this thread I have replied to each of your posts. Show me where I haven't addressed the issues you raised?

Incidentally; another poster mentioned that Greece begged to get into the Euro zone? Why would they do that..begging?

Possibly already on their way down the S-bend to a degree and seeking help?

"Go to hell"....:confused:

Seriously, Lib....relax

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Jul, 2015
  14. Bayview

slippery slope?

So, you don't think unlimited entry numbers into the Country would/could be an economic problem for us?

What number and timeframe would be the "safe" cut-off? There needs to be one, otherwise our welfare bill, our healthcare bill and other taxpayer funded services will collapse under the extra weight.

1million, 2 million, 5, 10?

Over a 50 year timeframe 10mill may be doable, but in your world, the gates are wide open 24/7....what happens if you let that amount of various refugees into Aus in say; 2 years?..because that's what you are advocating, and screaming blue murder at anyone who disagrees with that.

15. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

That doesn't make sense. I think you mean man it out.
    I want to vote no but computer won't let me. I think it's my ad block disabling it.

16. PrG

PrG Active Member

LibGS, what do you think should happen? Greece wasn't the only country in trouble: there was 'Club Med'--Spain, Italy and Greece. Spain has managed to do the tough work and Italy is on its way.

Why did public sector wages rise by 50% after Greece entered the EU? Is it wrong that the prime creditor-in this case Merkel of Germany-should be calling the shots? She called the shots in Italy too. I don't know--maybe Greece would do better to go back to the drachma.

The Eurozone has now agreed to lend Greece another 86 billion euros, on the condition that Greece increase taxes & increase retirement age. Greece passed the necessary legislation. That €86bn is coming from other countries, such as the UK. I wouldn't be happy if I were English. What happens if Greece fails again to meet its debt repayments to the IMF?

Personally, I don't like the games played by Tsipras-calling negotiations 'blackmail' and an 'unfair fight'. Disingenuous. He would like for Greece's debts to be written off. Not fair on the countries who have paid back their debt. Happy to be hear from any experts as opposed to us "armchair" experts "who post rubbish here".

Bayview likes this.
  17. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I gave my answer in this thread. It is even on this page...

I would let the country collapse. I would have let the world collapse during the GFC. People are all for a free market when it suits them and government handouts when they need it.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But has
    Has this been endorsed?... A given?..

19. Chilliblue

I believe it has

20. PrG

PrG Active Member

From my understanding, we didn't collapse during the GFC not because of any handouts but because we had the legislative structures in place (put in place after the 1980s debacle) to stop us tumbling along with the rest of the world; Kevin Rudd worked hard to ensure that we were not so badly affected; and our selling to the Chinese protected us.

If Greece collapsed, the banks there would simply close. Where would that leave the people?

Here is an article with another point of view: http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/16/germanys-moral-obligation-to-greece-eurozone/

Last edited: 17th Jul, 2015
    Bayview likes this.