Should the Victorian Government Fund Greek Citizens to resettle

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chilliblue, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Should the Victorian Government Fund Greek Citizens to resettle

Poll closed 14th Jul, 2015.
  1. Yes

9.5%
  2. No

81.0%
  3. Other (please details)

9.5%
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

"The Victorian government will provide funding to support people fleeing the economic crisis in Greece.

Multicultural Affairs Minister Robin Scott says the government would provide $90,000 a year for the next four years to the Australian Greek Welfare Society.

The funding would help provide services for Greek citizens who relocate to Australia, assisting in settlement and employment prospects."

Yes it is a small amount, but does this not send out mixed messages. Yes we accept Greeks escaping financial problems but no one else?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

These are economic refugees, much more palatable than those who seek to flee persecution but have the means to reach Oz by boat.

3. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Why would people migrating for economic purposes be more palatable than refugees who are fleeing their countries from war or persecution?

JDP1 and sanj like this.
  4. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Dawn Fraser may not agree with this :rolleyes:

5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Most racists don't agree with this. Where is their chaff bag?

6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

i voted for yes!

better economic refugees then alleged terrorist from other part of word!

7. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Why do Greeks play the wrong sports aka the Pou, Nick Kyrgios etc playing tennis?

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2015
  8. PrG

PrG Active Member

The Greek government has managed its economy badly. It begged to be allowed into the EU. Europe felt sorry for it and allowed it in. Since being part of the EU, government employee wages have risen by 50%--this in a country where there is already massive overspending. Greeks get the pension at about age 56. That's far too young and there are millions of able-bodied middle-aged people on the pension. There's a huge issue with tax avoidance in Greece.

Whilst Spain and Italy also accrued massive debts, they have managed to move forward. Nobody likes austerity measures, but beggars can't be choosers. Germany are not the big bad guys. They know how to manage their economy. Why should they have to bail out a country that refuses to put in place the necessary measures? Germany will probably never get its loans repaid. Neither will France or Italy. Greece has been living beyond its means for years, and years.

To me, this would be akin to helping out a relative who has squandered their money. The Greek government has to suck it up and woman it out. The people want to remain part of the EU but not with austerity measures. Guess what? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This government is stuck. It got voted in with the promise of no more austerity measures. It's not 'humiliating' (which is how the Greek government referred to austerity measures) to pay back your debts, even if you have to reduce your spending for a while.

I feel for the citizens but they should have voted in a government who was willing to cut spending necessary to pay back loans. end rant.

Beanie Girl, srirang and T.C. like this.
  9. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I can not believe that the pay levels are so low in Greece that barristers and doctors earn only $12k euros per year, or at least many of them have told so to tax department. If that was true they would have left the country a long time ago...

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There are structural issues in Greece (and some other euro nations) - they are able to retire very early and draw on their pension scheme (govt based super). Everyone lives for today with the intention of getting to retire early (somewhere in their fifties). This is a massive loss of productive capacity, taxes and consumption.

11. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Important point to note. The Government is not funding Greek citizens to settle in Australia just because they like Greeks. These Greek citizens have dual citizenship or are married to an Australian citizen. We're talking about people who left Australia to retire in Greece or people with a Greek background who decided to go back to their ancestral home and now want to come back.

Nevertheless, why my taxpayer dollars should fund their return is beyond me. If they are Australian citizens we already have safety nets in place, they can access it the same as anyone else facing hardship. Why are they so special?

Beelzebub

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

People have come here and built careers, which is great. But many who have gone back are funded by Australian pensions. I don't agree that pensions should be sent over long term to people living in other countries, and I have heard that in fact the law has been changed so that people can only live out of Australia for a period of time before losing their pension. I heard that they must live here six months a year. I certainly know that this plus family migration has been used to scam an awful lot of pensions.

I really object to the racist card which has been played here already. People should be judged by the content of their character not the colour of their skin.

It wasn't that many years ago that my wife would not have been allowed to live in Australia, being Mexican with a brown skin.

AndrewTDP and Beanie Girl like this.
  13. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

I can imagine the outrage and shock jocks complaints if they were giving the money to an Islamic Association for similar reasons.

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I once saw a comment that tax avoidance was Greece's national sport

15. PrG

PrG Active Member

In 2011, it was estimated that 15 billions euros is lost every year because of tax evasion. That's not tax avoidance, but tax evasion. “Only the stupid pay tax,” said a Greek eye surgeon to a radio station.

16. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

How about members of Golden Dawn a far right fascist party?

Actually they'd probably fit in just fine.

17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

So, they'll be coming here probably broke? Otherwise; no need to come, right?

How many will be of workforce age? How many will be kids? how many will be oldies?

Um; small issue; how will they be funding their lifestyle when they get here?

I guess if they have rellos then the rellos can fund it? Likely.

We're not exactly smashin' it on the employment front currently, and these folks won't be swanning around in the outback where all the space is....they'll be right here in the cities, competing with all those FHB's for accommodation.

I vote do a trade - all our skanky welfare bogans for anyone there who was previously full-time employed before the Banks shut...we may get a few more doers and get rid of a few leaners.;):D

And, the other rule is the bogans have to travel by boat.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2015
  18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

True. But why stop there? Let's just kill useless people, the old, the infirm, people who don't contribute enough to the GDP. Much cheaper than shipping them off. I have some WWII history books that we can study and devise a plan.

19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I know you want to save the world, Lib, and so do I, and I know your compassion is terrific.

But it is simply a ridiculous notion that we can let all and sundry into our Country from all over the world in a monumental humanitarian gesture, and not pay any attention to the economic (and lifestyle) impact of such a mindset on our existing citizens.

We already have very high unemployment, very poor business confidence and investment; despite record low interest rates, and simply can't just "hope" for our dollar to tank again so we can improve our exports.

Internally, we are producing a population where the "lowest end" of society are reproducing the most - perpetuating an ever-increasing welfare and entitlement driven community of leaners and spongers in various forms, and an extra burden on healthcare system with their lifestyle choices - while the "higher-end" who are better educated and better contributors to the Country, healthier and so on - are having less/no kids...

Basically; we are already oversupplied with those who do too little and cost too much, and it is only increasing each year. Let's address that issue first. Teenagers coming out of school are already finding it hard to get work, Uni degrees mean nothing in many instances, executives are working in hardware at Bunnings, and so on.

How would YOU fund the financial support required for the millions who would come here if they could - and would - if they had a free kick to enter?

This is not a cold, heartless question or mindset. It is not about race or religion. It is a serious financial and economic one.

It is exactly how our Gubb must look at this. At the end of the day they are responsible for OUR citizens first. Then help those who we can after this.

If we can't help them; then I'm sorry; it's too bad and life is not fair.

We can't have a mindset of "we'll just let 'em all in, and worry about how we'll fund it all later on"

There is not much point letting in a few hundred thousand boat people here, and a few hundred thousand economic refugees there, and a few hundred thousand displaced folk from wherever else just because you feel sorry for them, if it means that every citizens' lifestyle, livelihood, health system etc will deteriorate because we can't afford to house or feed everyone.

What is the figure YOU would put on it to say: "Stop; we've got enough!"?

Greece has had a lot of years to fix their mess, and they have done zip about it, apparently.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2015
    Flyingace likes this.
  20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Australian citizens have a right to live here. That is all.