Should the loan be changed ?? Advise please

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Kelly88, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. 10 years ago, we had a new loan on an investment property. As we had so much equities on our house, the bank made a mistake of putting our house as the guarantor on the loan. So we were sent the title of the investment property. The new loan is still put as an investment loan.

Currently, the loan remains the same ~ 300K investment loan - under our main residence, but it was used to buy the investment property.

Just curious, as the address on the loan is our main residence, is it OK to change it to a normal loan (not investment loan) ??? I'm not sure if I'll bother to do it, but just a thought.

Thanks
    Kelly

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

When you say "is it okay?", I would say it's probably not okay, because it's dishonest. But if the question is 'can I do it?' Then yes, you can. :)

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not sure what happened, but sounds like your PPOR may be cross collateralised with the investment. If so then change that so the IP loan is secured only by the IP loan.

4. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I assume they're trying to avoid the ~0.25% interest increase for investment loans.

Would telling your bank that it's not an investment loan, but a PPOR loan, affect your tax deductibility? (I'm thinking not, but wanted to confirm.)

5. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

Thanks ... Does it require lots of work to change a loan from an investment loan to a normal loan? It's the only loan under our main residence now as the other non-deductable part is already paid off years ago. If it's illegal, we wouldn't want to do it as later on maybe the tax office will match the data with investment loan data from the banks ....

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What you tell the bank is not relevant for income tax purposes such as deductibility of interest.

Perp likes this.
  7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It's just a form normally, easy to do.

There's no tax implications, and you can deduct as normal. The only difference is that if you change it you'll be getting a lower rate based on the fact you're telling the bank it's a loan for your home, when in fact the loan is for your investment.

Perp likes this.