Should mask use be mandated for indoors?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Sackie, 23rd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Masks need to be mandated by the government

1. Yes, mandate use for indoors

36 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No mandating needed. Leave it upto individuals to decide

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Prime Minister says no. Wants it left to individuals to decide.

What's your view?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The whole idea of not making it mandatory while cases numbers are climbing.... it's idiotic. For me, if case numbers are low or zero then masks are not needed. But with cases rapidly increasing, I'd want to have it mandatory in shops, indoor public spaces, theatres etc. Till there is an effective Covid treatment. Not required if dining.

Lizzie, wylie and Hills123 like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Masks aren't so much to protect the wearer, they're to protect other people.

So if I have covid, and decide not to wear a mask, I'll be spreading it all around and I'll be none the wiser.

If masks protected the wearer, it would be fine for it to be a matter of individual responsibility, as I would be the only person affected.

But it's going to be the person with Covid who doesn't wear a mask who transmits it to me.

An unvaccinated person is more likely to be not wearing a mask, raising the risk to me

Last edited: 23rd Dec, 2021
    craigc, lixas4, See Change and 6 others like this.
  4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

We've had masks mandated indoors here continuous for the last 20 months. I have never seen a single person without a mask in a shop or supermarket in Barcelona in that time, it's the done thing, no protests. Only recently can we take it off during a set in the gym, then back on.

The first 14 months mandated outdoors, that was over the top but again 100% compliance except for a few tourists, and beach this year. I think masks outdoors a bit silly but now they want to bring them back. Really, screw it now I think, we can no longer try to protect anti vaxers, let them suffer their poor decisions.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Latest data out of the U.S. ... unvaxxed people 20x more likely to die of covid than double vaxxed and boosted individual

qak likes this.
  6. geoffw

I guess, once they die they don't need to wear a mask.

Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  7. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

If people wore proper masks or properly fitted masks I think they would work for what they were designed to. The pieces of cloth people are wearing do not.
    The outdoor wearing of masks during delta was actually very unhealthy with mask caused bacterial pneumonia cases presenting in hospitals.

8. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A publication stating the opposite.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-to-provide-protection-against-covid-19_0.pdf

Evidence please.

Hetty, Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I can understand the "masks everywhere" rule early on - simplifies the message and makes it less confusing. Now we have more experience and acceptance of mask wearing, having a more nuanced rule makes sense.

It has been interesting - through most of this experience, Newcastle had very few cases, and wearing a mask felt a bit weird. Since the big outbreak in Newcastle, despite the mandate lifting, I've actually felt way more "normal" wearing a mask indoor and around people.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

The Y-man and SatayKing like this.
  10. SatayKing

It's nothing more than putting on a T-shirt or a pair of shorts.

Gockie likes this.
  11. Serveman

Please read your own link you provided with regards to the correct wearing of masks. The cloth masks do not properly fit your face. The N95 are better and so are the properly designed PPE equipment. This is common sense which is why people that work in hospitals don’t wear the cheap masks. When I wear a mask I wear a proper mask. The best way to confirm this is to go get one of the cloth masks put it on and then replace it with an N95, and you be the judge.
    On the second point, There are health professionals working in the medical industry who are currently treating patients with azithromycin combined with augmentin forte for bacterial pneumonia caused by mask wearing. Breathing back in your own exhaled air is not healthy. This is common sense. If you are looking for evidence right now for this it will not be forthcoming for obvious reasons I do not want to go into.

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think it should be mandatory for the next few months ,just have to look at the predictable pattern's from the past few years..
    Bought some new masks this morning ..Australian made Detmold medical d95 regular p2 respirator..

boganfromlogan likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Victoria's acting premier has just announced mandatory face masks in all indoor settings (except private homes) for people aged 8+ from midnight tonight

bamp, Lizzie, Gockie and 3 others like this.
  14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

and considering pretty much every pocket I own now has a mask in it, they are easy to get hold of :)

Sackie likes this.
  15. SatayKing

I already had done so.

upload_2021-12-23_12-9-21.png

Hmm, most unusual health professionals are reticent in publishing preliminary results but it is what it is if you say so.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Serveman

Well at least have a go ( if you want to) at trying on an N95 and compare to the cloth ones and see how feel about the matter. I think it is worth a try and make sure you replace masks every 3 to 4 hours to prevent Unwanted respiratory infection. All my Chinese friends know this all to well.

17. geoffw

My understanding has always been that N95 masks are better than cloth masks - but a cloth mask, especially a three-layered one, can be effective - not as much as an N95, but much better than none at all.

Earlier in the epidemic, when health care professionals were having trouble getting PPE supplies, cloth masks were suggested for the general public in order to give sufficient supplies for the professionals.

I have seen a cloth mask with a transparent panel, allowing the wearer to communicate with people who need to lip read. When I talk with my signing friend in an aged care institution, I have to take my mask off completely.

Lizzie and Serveman like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Live: All the COVID news you need from across Australia

From NSW press conference, Dom just announced:

"As of midnight tonight, we will be requiring that masks are worn in indoor settings."

"We are encouraging people, particularly over the holiday period, if you can work from home, please work from home.

"We do want to limit mobility, just as we get through this period of time and particularly in relation to ensuring that our health workers are able to be on the job and provide that care and support for those who are unwell."​

Hetty, Gockie and Shazz@ like this.
  19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

State premiers are the ones who can mandate mask wearing.
    The PM can only recommend.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good stuff. Maybe it’s a few days late, but great to hear it all the same. It was really not the right time to remove the QR checkin and mask wearing restrictions with local cases skyrocketing.

Perhaps there are some corners of NSW that don’t really need it, but it is everywhere in Sydney.

Lizzie and wylie like this.