Should it be this hard ?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Logan, 17th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I think there was a thread on this recently but I can't seem to find it.

I have been researching for nearly a year now and with many many false starts I am back down to zero investments. I have had other opportunities this year which I have taken and they have been very lucrative and achieved other goals but still no investments. I am also very well along paying down my Sydney PPOR. It seems that every investment deal I chase evaporates - I am trying too hard or have I just found 100 ways not to invest ?

I feel that I am pushing the limits of a lot of professionals on my team chasing deals that don't eventuate but can't seem to move forward.

2. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

What are the reasons for the deals not going ahead?

3. jafeica

jafeica Well-Known Member

Analysis paralysis?

chylld and Bayview like this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well. Sometimes it's hard to make that first purchase and newbies will often try to score the 'deal of the century' while missing many other deals that could have been almost as good. At some point you have to work out that 'good enough' will do.

A rising tide will lift all boats. By that I don't mean just buy the first crap hole that you see, but if you don't buy ANYTHING you don't get the growth (if we're talking about a rising market).

For instance, we bought several in Western Sydney several years ago now. Were they perfect? NO! But they were perfect for us and the price was right. Over the years we've fixed some of them up, but we've still got one in it's original condition with a long term tenant. One of them we paid $186250 for, and sold it recently for $490k.

Are we happy with that? Well, yes, of course we are, but the point that I'm trying to make is that if we'd spent too much time thinking about it, we would never have bought it.

EN710, chylld, Logan and 3 others like this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Yeah, can you provide some details so maybe the issue can be found.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I bet you think they are perfect now :D

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hehe, yep!

The one we've got that's still in original condition is pretty bad. There were tenants lined up for it when we bought it & it's been tenanted ever since. It's getting $360pw which is at the high end for a Wilmot place! It needs new kitchen bathroom, paint floor covering (the works) but the tenant is happy to stay and we've been too busy to do the reno....still are actually. It will get done eventually!:D

When we get around to it, it will get a granny flat (nice boost to the cashflow) and as it's got two street frontages it should come up a treat.

Gockie and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's Awesome well done. I guessing if you did the full reno it would boost the value? I think you purchased at the perfect time too! Like you, we bought a couple in Western Sydney about 3 years ago - there were hardly any buyers around! 2 of ours has CF ability but we are just hesitant to spend the money on GF and rather put it in more growth assets but your right with the GF it will give you a very nice yield. I have heard conflicting opinions on just how much the GF will add value to the home. Any ideas? Well done again!

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm not looking for a value add on that place. We picked that one up for $185k, so it's growth has been great but I'm chasing cashflow at the moment. We planned to put a GF on there years ago, but put the funds into new purchases.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. They have fallen over on building and pest (strutural), under contract on the first day, under contract before I can get there or they really do have a better offer (I am not low balling) so they reject my contract (after stringing me along for a week).

I have not had problems buying in Sydney, the last house I bought after a 10 minute inspection and a 5 minute glance of the building and pest report but I have lived in all of the houses and renovated as I went along.

the upside is that I must be looking in the right areas if they are going so quickly.

11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Well not necessarily if you're falling into the 'fear of missing out' trap and buying at the top of the market when there may be markets elsewhere where you could buy cheaper.

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Either the professionals you're dealing with are holding up the process, or you're holding up the process. Take a good look at both and then do something about it.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sounds like your just not competitive enough in the market. I think if your looking at places that have THAT much interest it's probably a good thing you didn't get it tbh. I think you may be doing the right thing at the wrong time.

I would be looking to change markets as @ellejay suggested, and making sure no one is slowing down your action including yourself.

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2015
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

:p:eek::eek:
    Where are you looking:D, more competition.
    Just keep working it, persistence is the key:)

Sackie likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you're not - in my books, that's a market that's too hot. Go to the cool one.

The Y-man

skater and Sackie like this.
  16. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi Logan

Why?? Perhaps a bit of upskilling is in order to be able to identify big ticket item problems with properties and just not place them under contract in the first place. Building and pest inspections are not free and you don't want to be paying to expect houses that aren't going to fly.

So you either need to be shopping in areas that you CAN get to quickly, or have someone going into bat for you that is able to attend immediately. Such a person should also be able to recognise the big problems with properties on your behalf as mentioned above.

So don't give them a week. Your legal rep should be able to advise you on how to ensure they must make a decision in a shorter timeframe than that.

Sometimes leveraging others takes you farther faster than you could go yourself, and along the way you can learn from these people. Might be worth pondering.

Quentin68, KDP and miked like this.
  17. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Thought I would give a bit of an update for those following at home. I did a bit of a step back and set much firmer criteria for houses I was chasing. Almost immediately I had two houses under contract including one that has just gone unconditional. It looks like the persistence has paid off. I think I also had to be a bit more realistic with price as Brisbane is now moving so fast. I am excited about moving forward into the settlement phase (I am sure I will have 100 questions) and now searching for my last two purchases for the year. Thanks for the support

KMD, Tranquilo, HUGH72 and 2 others like this.
  18. KLH

KLH Member

That's great! Which suburb in Brisbane did you buy?

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.