Should I try to sell after settlement?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Travel4Food$, 10th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I think you are suffering from a strong case of buyer’s remorse. Quite a common affliction.

Remind yourself why you chose this apartment in the first place. Don’t panic, there have been two or three widely publicised cases of building defects among hundreds, if not thousands, of unit buildings completed in the last ten years.

Very few properties show strong gains in the short term unless lucky, so it may be best to follow your original plan to live in the apartment, at least for a year or two, then reassess.
    Marg

Dean Collins, Jana, Hetty and 2 others like this.
  2. Travel4Food$

Travel4Food$ Active Member

Thanks Marg, I wish that was the case. The original plan was flawed. It was just plain stupidity, I don’t even have an excuse for rushing into it, didn’t read enough, didn’t research. Anyway damage is done now and I can only wait...

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. fobo

fobo Well-Known Member

I’ve lost 6 figures on a recent purchase too, just have to see what happens over time.

Getting out of the contract is likely impossible, plus the risk of getting sued and trying to get stamp duty back

Tekoz likes this.
  4. Travel4Food$

Sorry to hear, let’s hope things do get better for all of us. Would you mind sharing what happened with your purchase?

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

general market sentiment looks to be UP

ta

rolf

6. fobo

fobo Well-Known Member

Bought a townhouse otp in early 2017, was meant to sell my current place and move in with a pretty comfortable mortgage

Developer went broke and it got resold, my solicitor wasn’t great and the contract was terrible. They started building earlier this year and will finish just before sunset

Can get into a house now on a good size block for the same price as my townhouse ...

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

look, you havent lost anything yet, the valuation im assuming according to you will be about the same as to what you paid,

its not a loss until you ve sold it, but yes you will lose as you said agents fees, legals, etc. etc. etc

dont be so hard on yourself, it might have not been the best decision, but at least you didnt buy in a mining town at its peak!

Beano, S.T, Travel4Food$ and 2 others like this.
  8. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Please speak to a lawyer experienced in these property contract matters before settlement. They can assess the risk of you getting sued if you back out of the contract. The actual risks may be different to your assumptions.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just have to ask what do you think this property will rent for and with settlement not that far away as selling is not a good idea ,one year's time it could be a total different value..imho..

Travel4Food$ likes this.
  10. Travel4Food$

thanks everyone. Definitely can't back out of settlement so just have to cop it for a year or so...

fobo likes this.
  11. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

On which areas?

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about that market, assume your purchase price is based on current mkt price.

Your factors of having building trouble probability is far lower than someone being get killed by car on the road. Looks you panic for something unreasonable. Hope you bought the house and enjoy being there.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia