Should I stage the house, mid sale process?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Barny, 21st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Colpio79

Colpio79 Member

I did staging and photo shop with furniture too. Helped sell property sooner.

Barny likes this.
  2. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Anyone used any fragrances or used nice smells to stage a house? If so what is best? I don't have an issue so much with the smells in the house (no pets etc) however curious whether certain smells leave a lasting impression with buyers?

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Maybe a basic vanilla candle or diffuser (liquid with sticks - I'm sure it has a proper name). Vanilla shouldn't offend anyone.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would remove them unpersonally, apparently makes it easier for buyers to picture (?) themselves in the house.

Sackie likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree with @Azazel. You want the prospective buyers to walk in and straight away see themselves living there becoming emotionally attached. Not at every turn they see Little Jonny on the wall, or Make Up Mary on the shelf.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just thought I would post my project I mentioned previously, I completed/sold, this was staged and sold in 4 weeks when the market was declining. I staged the villa that had the less desirable design.

I also like the you tube presentations if the agent presents it well and commentary is good.

Barny and Gockie like this.
  7. wylie

Looks great MTR. As it was playing I was trying to imagine the rooms empty. There is no way I would ever sell a place empty. The staging was well done and the place looked very appealing.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

How much did it cost you for the video? It looks really well done as Wylie says.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I can't remember it was a package, all up I paid no more than $1000 included professional photos

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Staging can be brilliant especially if a design is flawed, power points in the wrong place can be hidden etc.

They used queen size blow up mattresses for master bedroom, single blow up for single - saves space and less weight, easy to move around. My staging company were all females and they were not built like Arnold Swazenagger.

So many tricks of the trade to make rooms look larger and to give an absolute WOW factor. Most of the villas in this area (Spearwood) were much larger than my villas yet I achieved higher price, I think it was purely presentation, high specification and great marketing.

As I said I staged villa 1 - because the family area did not flow correctly in my opinion and once we staged it was totally amazing how it transformed the room.

I have no hesitation in recommending staging as part of the plan, $2000 marketing tool well spent

Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Very cool. :)

12. wylie

Blow up mattresses is a fantastic idea. We have paid for staging, but in the past, we have also bought beds (gumtree) and bought new linen (that we kept afterwards), bought cheap gumtree mattresses (or even used donnas and things that nobody sees to look like mattresses), brought lamps and accent pieces from our own homes. After contract goes unconditional, we list and sell what we don't want to keep.

This was when my parents were alive and we had two large houses and lots of nice furniture to choose from (without leaving us sitting on the floor). These days, we pay for the professionals to do it all.

And I agree that drawing the eye with some nice furnishing and accents can stop people focussing on things that they would notice if the room was left empty.

MTR likes this.
  13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Looks great, I should have stagged it from the start. House didn't sell, had a few offers but less than what I wanted and rather keep it for now than sell for someone else's gain.
    If I decide to try again in 6 months or a year, I'll stage it, or sell with tenant in place for less.

MTR likes this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've heard of people doing this.
    Also using milk crates and all sorts of things under there.

15. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic however I noticed you left the energy efficiency sticker on the dish washer! Pet hate of mine when people do this haha :) Did you have to hire any "white goods"?

16. wylie

I've had friends who have used milk crates too... and pallets.

17. wylie

I also don't understand why people leave those stickers on. Maybe take a photo of the sticker and leave it with paperwork on the appliances, but they don't add appeal on the appliance itself. You see them on toilets too.

18. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

We've had great results from staging the couple of houses we've sold, and wouldn't hesitate to use home stagers again.

There are plenty of people like me who struggle to imagine what a room will look like or how furniture will fit, and staging makes up for lack of imagination. As well as creating an emotional connection for the buyer.

MTR likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Funny thing is the agent was very lazy, he would talk the property price down and I would talk it up, lots of game playing but I finally got him on side
    Whitegoods are all included as part of the builders specification.
    Ha....Never thought about the sticker?

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

its very clever.

This staging company is a small business operated/owned by 2 females, makes sense that everything is light an easy to move.

Another thing to watch out for is that when staging no damage to walls etc, . They were mindful of this, I would hate to see damaged/chipped walls.