Should I sell? Ropes Crossing

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by VishnuKasula, 7th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VishnuKasula

VishnuKasula Member

Hello Gurus, I need a piece of advice in making a decision whether to sell the property or not.
    Property Located in Ropes Crossing just few minutes away from St.Marys.
    Prop profile:
    4B, 2B, 2C
    Land size: 512sqmts
    Year built - 2014
    Purchased in 2014 as FHB (note that I lived in the house for 7months and moved out due to personal circumstances)
    Purchase Price $480k, current market price is HIGH $800s approx I think - from the recent sales history in that area
    I relocated to ACT few years ago and struggling to get into Canberra market.
    I got few questions to make that decision whether to sell the property.
    1. what's the capital gain if I were to sell the property and any unknown expenses that I should be aware of excluding agent commission, advertising costs, conveyancer fees.
    2. Is it ideal to sell that property and buy a new house in the ACT? Or wait for it grow?
    3. How is the growth in that area considering Badgers Creek Intl. Airport in the near future.

Appreciate your thoughts on my idea.
    @admin, apologies! If I posted it in wrong location feel free to move or advise.

Thanks again!
    Vk

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Whether you decide to sell the property is a decision for you, and you alone. Only you know what your goals are, and if you are able to buy something else in another area.

Before making that decision, do some research on the area, and decide if it's somewhere you would like to hold onto. Be aware that sometimes if you sell out of Sydney, it can sometimes be difficult to buy back in. Think about if you will be in ACT long term. This could affect your decision.

In very basic terms, your capital gain is calculated at half the gain, added to your income for the year, so if the property has appreciated $300k, you've got $150kCG. If your income is $100k, you will be taxed as if your income is $250k.

neK likes this.
  3. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

4. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

5. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

The way the move cities around the clock, it should be called a property star and not a clock or may be it's a digital clock.

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2021
    unicorntears likes this.
  6. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

1) The Ropes Crossing area is very family orientated so the sales agent will probably want the property vacated for a quicker sale so I'd take vacancy into consideration
    2 and 3) I don't follow the ACT market closely so can't comment on that but I believe we've reached the peak in Sydney. I'd try and hold onto it, in the long term 5+ years and with close proximity to St Marys it will do well.

7. VishnuKasula

VishnuKasula Member

Thanks for the inputs Skater, though my goals are clear it's a daunting situation to make any financial decisions.

skater likes this.
  8. VishnuKasula

VishnuKasula Member

9. VishnuKasula

VishnuKasula Member

My agent reckons it would sell high 800s or low 900s but for now I am going to hold off with selling, like others are stating it will be difficult to enter sydney market in the future - which is the reality.

skater likes this.
  10. VishnuKasula

VishnuKasula Member

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF