Should I sell now? Competition is high but so are their prices

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jane Eyles-Bennett, 1st Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Jane Eyles-Bennett Member

I'm interested in your thoughts on whether to sell a particular property I own now or not.

There are currently 4 houses for sale within 200 metres of the property I'm thinking of selling (in North Lakes, North Brisbane).

Looking to put on the market for offers over $599k and it is a 5 bedroom + study (with a bit of a dodgy pool) on 624sqm's. Recent val (6 months ago) came in at $580k but other properties nearby are asking much more than this.

One other house (two houses down) also has 5 bedrooms but no study and has an awesome pool (620sqms). They are asking for offers over $709k which I think is a bit high, but I can see why they would give it a crack.

Two other houses down the road a bit are asking offers over $649k and each of these are 4 bed + nice pool.

All are fairly equal in terms of finishes though mine is the only one with stone bench-top, new appliances, timber floors and newly reno'd main bathroom (but mine has the dodgy pool which I guess off-sets this).

So, my question is; should I put it on the market now and be the property that offers more rooms but is asking for less $$$ (but also means I'm entering into a more competitive market)? OR wait until the other properties have sold or taken off the market? I guess the risk is if they end up selling out of desperation they might lower the expectation of sale prices for houses in the surrounding streets.

What do you think?? Help I've been going around in cricles wondering what to do! o_O

2. herenow

herenow Well-Known Member

Why are you considering selling?

3. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

It sounds like your home would represent good value comparing it to others in your neighbourhood. There is no harm to steal some buyers of the other properties while you can. You could create bit of competition on your property if your is the cheapest. Worth having a shot. Your neighbours won't like it. :)

Whitecat and Jane Eyles-Bennett like this.
  4. Jane Eyles-Bennett

@herenow looking at building in Mango Hill closer to the new train station. Think there will be better future rental yield, higher occupancy and slightly higher capital growth there.

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

How dodgy is the pool? Leaky or just dated?

6. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Just dated @Jess Peletier. Its an above-ground pool that the previous owners put underground. Urgh!

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Haha! Whyyyyyy?!

8. Jane Eyles-Bennett

I knooow!! Some people - I tell you!!

9. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

nope don't sell......why would you pay sales commission, pay out a mortgage and then apply for a new mortgage, pay new property tax etc for something that is renting out and making you money.

Better to keep this one AND buy the next IP from the excess capital available once your neighbours houses sell for "record area levels".

Tranquilo likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sounds like a good plan... equity mate, equity.:p I think it has more growth to come over time.

11. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Agree. I would not sell. Extract equity as downpayment for Mango Hill build (will this be ppor or investment?).

12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Depending on where in North Lakes you are, I'd hold on to it. I drove through there last month and my instant thought was buy there because it looks like the next Norwest/Bella Vista (NSW).. nice decent sized homes, close to Westfield, and a growing business area.

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

With those options, I'd put it on immediately. Let the buyers go through all the properties and see the benefits of yours against the others, especially price. If possible, get in before the others auction (if they are, probably not in Qld) or reduce their price so people can make bids on yours before the others come up.

With some of your properties features notably different, don't forget to emphasise that on walkthroughs - maybe provide an extra printed page to be handed out along with the agent's spiel that says what's great/different. I've found that many time the agent's shill sheet doesn't cover all the things I think are important :rolleyes:.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.