Should I refinance to Tic Toc home loans or HomeStar Finance?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by WilliamGoh, 1st Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WilliamGoh

WilliamGoh Active Member

Owner occupier Variable home loan. Which of these lenders do u think is better?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You should talk to a good mortgage broker instead of diy.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi William, what are your goals? What are you trying to achieve with property?

These low rate lenders are great for people who have no interest in property investment.

If you are looking to grow a portfolio, there's a lot more to it than just a low rate - and you're not going to get what you need from these types of lenders.

4. WilliamGoh

WilliamGoh Active Member

I just want to pay off the loan ASAP

Lindsay_W likes this.
  5. geeza

geeza Well-Known Member

I was looking into both of these. I called Homestar and spent probably 15 minutes on the phone with a lady. She took all my details; loan amounts, interest rates, rental returns, incomes etc. She kept me on hold for around 5 minutes and then came back and said ‘I’m sorry we’re not in a position to lend to you at the moment’ without a real reason. LVR was fine, I’m in a good position and more than enough cash to put in. Went back to St George (already had 3 loans with them) and didn’t have a problem getting the loan.

I’m always wary of the little lenders.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  6. WilliamGoh

WilliamGoh Active Member

Perhaps urs is construction loan ? They don't do construction

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Have a read of the threads where someone who did that realised they have to move for work and want to keep the property as an investment.

Look, if you just want to pay off the loan and never move, it doesnt matter much which lender you go with. Life is rarely so simple. There is a lot of useful information here but only if you want to learn.

You may think lenders are pirates and everyone else is just out for for your money, but you have no choice but to play this game. Might as well learn the rules?

Lindsay_W and Jess Peletier like this.
  8. WilliamGoh

WilliamGoh Active Member

Ok

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

...or buy their shares if you really think they are successfully fleecing people ;)

The Y-man

10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be lovely if the value of the shares was calculated like an offset account and saved you interest instead of paying dividends.

11. geeza

geeza Well-Known Member

It wasn’t construction. I’d heard some good things about homestar. Not sure what happened in my situation

Lindsay_W likes this.
  12. WilliamGoh

WilliamGoh Active Member

Hmmm

13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

what sort of car do you drive and why ?

ta
    rolf

14. WilliamGoh

WilliamGoh Active Member

What .... ?

15. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Why are you in an investment forum? :) Makes me think that maybe you actually want more than just to pay off your home...in which case, my original question stands. :)

If you genuinely have zero interest in anything other than paying off a home, and never investing in anything, ever...

Or owning more than one property at a time, ever...

Then those lenders might be okay.

The issue is that while the product might be fine, you're never going to get the kind of advice you need to grow a portfolio, maximise the benefits you get from investing in property or plan for future changes, which means you might be making expensive mistakes and you won't know it.

Property loan structuring mistakes are expensive, literally can cost you thousands a year - not necessarily out of pocket, but it's money that could be going IN your pocket if you get it right.

16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Tony Robbins calls that a Pattern Interrupt, designed to bump us off the current thought or emotional track, to allow us to make better decisions.

Most ( not all) folks drive a specific type of MV because it suits their specific needs.

Some drive a Lotus 2 seater sports car because they are single and like a fang to and from work everyday.

Some families have 5 kids, so need something that seats min 6 or 7.

Yet others still have a 3 tonne caravan or boat to tow.

Those are all specific needs that govern what MV is useable.

Where it gets grey is why do some prefer a Lexus over a Camry, or a Volvo over BMW.

Mostly, but not always its because we like the prestige, and extra features and the soft leather.

Sometimes, people have deeper specific needs and some that want peak safety, will choose an XC 90 over a Q7.

Long winded post to say .........we dont know what we dont know, because we havent done enough research on our real need..............and therefore our qualifying questions are not as powerful as they could be. Better questions usually result in better outcomes

We have assumed that if we need a 5 seater car, that a Mitsu Mirage will suit out needs, because all cars provide transport.

I could be wrong, i suspect you dont drive the cheapest car you could find.

Peeling the onion on someone's real, rather than stated needs on any untangible, and often tangible products reveals deeper real needs.

With 20 years experience, our clients usually arrive at a different needs hierarchy or decision tree than they initially thought, using a simple but not obvious guided discovery process.

Some CORE product need considerations other than rate and fees cost ( and the dreaded CCR model - yuk) are:

• What will I be doing with this property in 5 10 or 20 years time
    • Have I explored my risk appetite for active debt recycling, where if properly implemented, rate can become close to irrelevant
    • How safe do I want MY money to be
    • If the rate market jumps, what fixed rate options do I have
    • Do I need a REAL offset, or will a redraw-offset do.
    • What are the IO roll over options
    • Do I need best of breed apps and online access

Then we have some specifics, which seem like they don’t apply to most people………..but often what wasn’t a consideration 5 or 10 years ago suddenly becomes one or several.

• What is the portability/security sub process like
    • What is the Partial Release process like
    • What are the cash out rules like
    • Does the lender offer upfront vals

And as we go through that process, things come up that even surprise me, there are dozens more considerations and permutations

If none of those matter, then a basic lowest real cost product is the way to go.

Loans aint Loans

Ta

Rolf

mikey7, Archaon, Lindsay_W and 2 others like this.
  17. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Surely they would have no problem telling Geeza that upfront then? Instead of wasting their time gathering all the data etc.

@WilliamGoh
    If you don't want to take the advice listed above by some very knowledgeable and experienced brokers and investors then it just comes down to two things,
    Which of those lenders have 1. the cheaper rate and 2. the lowest fees
    Simple decision surely??

18. wallerika

wallerika New Member

Why is it for people not interested in investing? Can't a PPOR loaned with Tic Toc for example be transformed into an investment property?
    Sorry, I really struggle to understand why it's not for investment, can you please give an example?

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Some lenders may not provide offset accounts, some may provide accounts that look like offsets but are not (redraws disguised as offsets), or offsets that don't 100% offset (the "rip-off" offsets)
    Some may not offer IO.

All of these become critical because people often want to use money they have used to "pay down" the loan to buy their new home - if they do this without the above, the interest will not be tax deductible.

The Y-man

20. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The loan might be quite suitable for investing, but do you know that it is or isn't?

What's their policy on equity releases in the future? How do their other general policies match your other goals or needs? How does their servicing criteria align with your longer term goals? Do they have an offset account and if so, does it operate in a manner that is consistent with your needs both now and in the future? ...

So far the main criteria seems to be the cheapest rate or lowest cost. Certainly that's always important, but I know from very long experience that this is rarely the most important criteria for selecting a lender or product. Most people don't actually understand this.

Rolf Latham and Lindsay_W like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia