QLD Should I put $400k in Durack?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Asa440, 15th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Asa440

Asa440 Member

Hi Guys,

I have $400k to invest and I am thinking of staying as close to Brisbane CBD as possible. What do people think of Durack? Should I be looking at older home or town house? I will naturally prefer to have a free standing house.

I am hoping to by within the next two months

Ta!

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I'm a big fan of Durack, and that corridor in general. It's really well priced given the proximity to the city and other more expensive areas.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member Premium Member

My stance on Brisbane is if the budget allows, I'd always choose a free standing home over a TH. I'd never consider units. Doesn't suit my approach .

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. Stephen McGee

Stephen McGee Member

it all depends on what you want to ahcieve out of your investment -here`s my thoughts- - whislt Durack may be an "affordable" suburb it is not an ideal suburb to invest in- Low socio-economy- high rate of unemployment - low growth rate. There are some alternate suburbs that have a higher confidence factor where you can invest for the same $$ but obtain a superior rate of return

5. miola

miola Member

Could you give few examples of such suburbs? I am thinking to buy my first IP in Brisbane or may be other parts of QLD with a budget of 400-450,000 and cannot decide on a particular location It would be interesting to hear your opinions/thoughts.

6. Asa440

Asa440 Member

Interesting!

I would also like to know which suburbs might be reconsidered better alternate to Durack for investing.

7. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

I think this will partially depend on your strategy.

$400k house within 15km of the CBD is generally going to be an older house in either an undesirable location (likely main road) or a lower socio-economic area. You will have higher maintenance costs, generally a lower yield and likely more tenancy issues. Minor issue, but depreciation will probably be minimal.

$400k townhouse closer to the CBD will likely be in a better location, be newer and attract better tenants. Maintenance costs will be lower, however you will likely have a body corporate to deal with. Probably less maintenance and a little bit of depreciation.

I think the budget is just a little bit too low to be looking at houses. At $400k I would be going a townhouses. If your budget was $500k, I would be leaning towards a house.

miola and ndpjai like this.
  8. Stephen McGee

Stephen McGee Member

I would actually be looking in the Moreton Shire areas- Kallanagur/Dakabin/Lawnton ect.
    You can still buy under the $400k here- we have bought some great ones and the maintenance costs have been minimal- due to the selection and quaulity of property.
    Yes the houses will be older- but these areas are going through some significant growth- rental yield is good- tenants are good quality and theya re largely aras that over 65% of the trasnactions are attributed to owner occs- so potential for growth is better.

miola likes this.
  9. miola

miola Member

Thank you for your advice.
    I can potentially increase the budget up to $500-550,000 (max). Would be looking to find an area for a solid CG potential closer to Brisbane CBD. Would prefer house though. Thanks

JDM likes this.
  10. miola

miola Member

Thank you for this tip. I will explore the Moreton Shire areas. Great that it is closer to the coast.

11. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

I also considered Durack but didn’t get a great vibe there. Also some flood affected there from memory?

If you can go to $500k I’d be looking around Runcorn on the south side and Keperra/Ferny grove/hills in the north. Way nicer suburbs than durrack.

miola likes this.
  12. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

If you can push up to $500-$550k I would be looking for a good buy on a house around the Northgate/Nundah/Wavell Heights if it were me.

In the $400k bracket I do also agree with the Moreton Bay region if you are happy with something further out

miola likes this.
  13. miola

miola Member

Thanks for the tip. I have quickly looked at this area - worth considering!

14. miola

miola Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. Will have a look at these suburbs.

15. Asa440

Asa440 Member

Thanks guys for your views!
    I will look into your recommendations.

JDM likes this.
  16. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

With the higher budget, you can push into a south-side suburb (e.g. Runcorn). We've seen some seriously impressive capital gains in the last few years and there's no reason for it to stop now.

How's the search going?