QLD Should I put $400k in Durack?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Asa440, 15th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Asa440

Asa440 Member

Hi Guys,

I have $400k to invest and I am thinking of staying as close to Brisbane CBD as possible. What do people think of Durack? Should I be looking at older home or town house? I will naturally prefer to have a free standing house.

I am hoping to by within the next two months

Ta!

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I'm a big fan of Durack, and that corridor in general. It's really well priced given the proximity to the city and other more expensive areas.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My stance on Brisbane is if the budget allows, I'd always choose a free standing home over a TH. I'd never consider units. Doesn't suit my approach .

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. Stephen McGee

Stephen McGee Member

it all depends on what you want to ahcieve out of your investment -here`s my thoughts- - whislt Durack may be an "affordable" suburb it is not an ideal suburb to invest in- Low socio-economy- high rate of unemployment - low growth rate. There are some alternate suburbs that have a higher confidence factor where you can invest for the same $$ but obtain a superior rate of return

5. miola

miola Member

Could you give few examples of such suburbs? I am thinking to buy my first IP in Brisbane or may be other parts of QLD with a budget of 400-450,000 and cannot decide on a particular location It would be interesting to hear your opinions/thoughts.

6. Asa440

Asa440 Member

Interesting!

I would also like to know which suburbs might be reconsidered better alternate to Durack for investing.

7. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

I think this will partially depend on your strategy.

$400k house within 15km of the CBD is generally going to be an older house in either an undesirable location (likely main road) or a lower socio-economic area. You will have higher maintenance costs, generally a lower yield and likely more tenancy issues. Minor issue, but depreciation will probably be minimal.

$400k townhouse closer to the CBD will likely be in a better location, be newer and attract better tenants. Maintenance costs will be lower, however you will likely have a body corporate to deal with. Probably less maintenance and a little bit of depreciation.

I think the budget is just a little bit too low to be looking at houses. At $400k I would be going a townhouses. If your budget was $500k, I would be leaning towards a house.

miola and ndpjai like this.
  8. Stephen McGee

Stephen McGee Member

I would actually be looking in the Moreton Shire areas- Kallanagur/Dakabin/Lawnton ect.
    You can still buy under the $400k here- we have bought some great ones and the maintenance costs have been minimal- due to the selection and quaulity of property.
    Yes the houses will be older- but these areas are going through some significant growth- rental yield is good- tenants are good quality and theya re largely aras that over 65% of the trasnactions are attributed to owner occs- so potential for growth is better.

miola likes this.
  9. miola

miola Member

Thank you for your advice.
    I can potentially increase the budget up to $500-550,000 (max). Would be looking to find an area for a solid CG potential closer to Brisbane CBD. Would prefer house though. Thanks

JDM likes this.
  10. miola

miola Member

Thank you for this tip. I will explore the Moreton Shire areas. Great that it is closer to the coast.

11. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

I also considered Durack but didn’t get a great vibe there. Also some flood affected there from memory?

If you can go to $500k I’d be looking around Runcorn on the south side and Keperra/Ferny grove/hills in the north. Way nicer suburbs than durrack.

miola likes this.
  12. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

If you can push up to $500-$550k I would be looking for a good buy on a house around the Northgate/Nundah/Wavell Heights if it were me.

In the $400k bracket I do also agree with the Moreton Bay region if you are happy with something further out

miola likes this.
  13. miola

miola Member

Thanks for the tip. I have quickly looked at this area - worth considering!

14. miola

miola Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. Will have a look at these suburbs.

15. Asa440

Asa440 Member

Thanks guys for your views!
    I will look into your recommendations.

JDM likes this.
  16. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

With the higher budget, you can push into a south-side suburb (e.g. Runcorn). We've seen some seriously impressive capital gains in the last few years and there's no reason for it to stop now.

How's the search going?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia