Should I move into my IP? Have done the sums...

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by BCR, 18th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Keen to get some views on the below from the PC group.

Have two IP's will be buying a third 3-6 months,

Currrently I live in my parents granny flat with my fiancé (a very nice Granny flat, I've had it good so far) I pay $500 month/next to nothing basically.

I will be moving out in March 2017, need to live near work as my hours are getting longer and the travel is killing me.

Rent is budgeted to be $700-750 weekly for a 2 bedder 5kms out from the city. I want to live in a nice apartment, going down below $650 is not really within scope.

Heres the fun part:

IP1 cost to live in (exc maintenance)
    IO loan = $1730 monthly
    P&I loan = $2170 monthly
    Strata = $390 monthly
    Lost Tax deduction benefits = ~$460 monthly

It works out about $750 pw on a P&I loan structure and I am paying $5k off principal
    or as IO loan or $725 pw on IO structure

Not sure if I've missed anything critical here, it almost looks net net equal with the benefit of paying off $5k against the property and potentially a year or two CGT break (partial main residential exemption?)

Anyone in the know able to shed some light why I would or would not want to do this???

Thanks in advance

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If its a newish place then also factor in lost depreciation

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I don't know about the sums but the CGT savings going forward could be worth much more. If it is worth $700k and grows 10% that is $70k per year.

Even if you live there temporarily you could use the 6 year rule to save a fair bit of CGT.

DaveM likes this.
  4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

HI Terry, I am forecasting avg annual growth at 3.0% to be on the safe side

Property is worth $750k - are you saying that if I move in for a year i get the 6 year rule? I thought I had to move in there from purchase and then have the option to move out for a period of absence?

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Hi Davem - the tax benefit loss counts that one in, I am positive on this one using IO loan, my depreciation is driving the tax benefit which I forego if I move into it.

6. Terry_w

You can still get the 6 year rule.

BCR likes this.
  7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry, I'll take this through with my accountant.

Just for clarification, does that mean eg. if I were to sell after owning for 15 years my growth would be split over the 15 years and then I would have the equiv yearly figure taken off for 6 years.?

If I can get a 6 year exemption from CGT by moving in for a year it may be worthwhile

8. Terry_w

It won't be exempt totally as you didn't live in it from the beginning, but it will be worked out on a % lived in basis with the absence counting as if you were living in it.

BCR likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

]

You can only use the 6 year exemption going forward. To gain the benefit you have to move in, then after you move out you can claim the CGT exemption for the next 6 years (if you don't claim another PPOR).

It is not retrospective. I,e., you can't move in, then sell, then claim 6 years exemption.
    Marg

BCR likes this.
  10. zlatan9

zlatan9 Well-Known Member

This 6 year rule seems to be a great exemption! - have been trying to read up about it.

So it looks like if I buy a property and move in straight away and live in it for a minimum of 6 months, then rent it out, I can get CGT exemption for up to 6 years?

Within that six months, if I went overseas for, say 3 months (but not rent it out leaving it empty), come back and then rent it out, would that still count towards my 6 months of PPOR?

11. Terry_w

There is no 6 month requirement. All that the law says is that it is your main residence before you become absent.