Should I get tiler to fix before paying him?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Momentum, 13th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I had a tiler come and tile on top of the existing floor tiles in a townhouse. Apparently they use a special glue so you can't walk on it for 48 hours. I finally had a quick look at their tiling job today and found some bad cuts around the door entry area.

If I'd known how bad the tilers are at cutting, I would've pulled up the skirting board and architrave before they tiled.

I've marked red X on the tiles I want replaced (15 of them). Do people think this job looks bad and I should get them to fix before it's grouted or is this standard quality? I want them to pull up (I can do it) and replace 15 tiles marked with red X and replace them. I will remove the architrave and skirting board before they replace the tile so it can be cut and laid under the new one. Am I being too hard?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2018
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Once grouted in light colour I think these edges will disappear. Tiler has clearly made an effort to cut to suit the architrave.

I think if you wanted times to run under architraves you should have told him that.

spludgey, vbplease and Terry_w like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@pinkboy would be proud of most of those cuts. Tiles are not made of paper and are brittle - putting that many cuts into the tiles tales a lot of time.

I don't like that on photos 2 & 3 there's a small infill piece however this highlights how difficult it is to cut to match the timber.

It would have been easier to take off the jambs and from the timber than to cut the tiles to profiles.

wylie and Momentum like this.
  4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

The tiles really should go under the skirt/arch. Not just for neatness but as a code requirement to hide the perimeter expansion joint.

You could use a multi-tool to cut the skirt/arch without taking them off.

Momentum likes this.
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....I wouldnt say proud. Quite frankly I think thats a poor attempt at getting around the arcs. Anywhere that there is more than a 5mm gap from the arc (or width of grout joint), then you probably have a right to ask for it to be pulled up at no cost.

Looks very rushed and what is going on with the 2x closures in opposite direction off the 1 tile in pic #1?

Pic #2 and #3. The tiler should cut the tile to suit. If they round off some of the edges just slightly they might get them to dry fit around those corners. If the dont quite go in, what thd tiler has cut is acceptable practice, but they should be put those small pieces as close as possible to the main part of the tile and only a thin sliver of grout should be visible - not those ugly grout joints (Id say the small pieces have sunk in the adhesive a bit too).

Pic #4 is ok.

As above, really should go under all the skirts and arcs as per code. Id say this is a cheap and nasty tiler for someone only wanting to pay the cheapest quote and not value for $$$ from a recommendation from a tile shop or builder.

What was the tiling cost and how many m2?
    pinkboy

S.T, wylie, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Thats some pretty rubbish tiling work :( I wouldnt pay for any of it

Momentum likes this.
  7. 738

738 Well-Known Member

Would be interested to know labour cost too.

8. Momentum

This was the last section done which feels like they've rushed it. I've decided I won't get all the red X tiles replaced but some need doing, especially the 2 infill pieces which look like they cracked off the main tiles in pics 2&3.. here's a pic of the entry from garage to laundry.

[​IMG]

Yes I should've removed skirting and arch's first but good to know there's a multi-tool which trims them without taking them off. I googled but couldn't find it though I found a youtube of undercutting it with an angle grinder.

I'm pretty happy with the overall result especially covering the old dark terracotta tiles underneath, just disappointed with some of the cuts. I've known this old Egyptian guy more than 10 years and he's done about 5 previous jobs for me with no complaints. On this job he put on an older Egyptian guy and a young Aussie offsider who could've been doing some of it (no big deal but leave the fine cuts to the pros).

Those skinny bits of tile are ramps between toilet/laundry and living area. Someone had already laid the last tiles on older tiles so we had a 1 tile thickness in floor height difference. Decided to ramp it up instead of having a toe jammer.

There was 45m2, he quoted $4,100 cash job including 600x600 rectified tiles. I've already given him $2k and will the rest of cash once he fixes some of it. Spoke to him earlier, he's coming at 6am tomorrow to fix and grout it. He reckons 4-5 tubes of white silicon will cover it but some gaps are up to 5-6mm.

The bottom pic shows a broken tile under the stairs in a little storage spot. I reckon it would also be a tricky tile to cut one that deep and I know it's not seen when the storage door is closed but I still reckon he could've tried harder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

45m2 for $4,100 cash! I think I might get back in the game!

Thats extremely price excessive for the lackluster job.

pinkboy

Perthguy and DaveM like this.
  10. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Rubbish job as already indicated. Was there already tiles in the kitchen laundry etc where he hasn't lined up the tile? Also looks like there is a difference in height?

Multi tool

Bosch Multi Function Tool

11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

That cupboard tile had to be cut. U cant get that placed otherwise. Like that shape cant go around that spot. Its just physically impossible. U had to take off mouldings to get a proper finish.

The little cuts at the door entry need replacing. Thats just dodgey. The way to do it. Would be to just cut 15mm off of the bottim of the door jam 30x12mm piece of pine that blocks the tile from having a straight cut on that edge. Then just get them to straight cut that one so the lil bit doesnt snap off. And replace.

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

And to be fair to the tiler. U were getting them to cut stupid angles around stupidly fiddly mouldings and with what looks like porcelain tiles which are a b$**# to work with.

The tiler should have rung u and said "hey these mouldings are very detailed and getting a clean cut is going to be impossible. Do you want to cut or remove the mouldings for an extra $400 or do you want me to get as close as i can with the mouldings in place?"

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

1. You have got the tiler to tile on top of existing work.
    2. Those cuts are pretty darn good. As mentioned they will not be visable once grouted.
    3. Regarding under the skirts/archs, if he is tiling over old work this is a patch job, so there are compramises..

Nothing to whinge about here

MyDarlinghurst likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would have taken the original tiles off, especially seeing as someone has already tiled on top before creating the uneven floors.
    If you had taken off the previous 2 layers the floor would have been flat and no need for the awkward ramping.
    To me the lesson here is that inadequate preparation (removing existing tiles and architraves) has given a subpar end result. $4k was spent and an additional $1k would have made it look heaps better.

15. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Haha i paid $48psqm for ceramic last week.
    Crazy price for this job

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Tilling with rectified tiles over a less than perfectly flat floor would have been difficult. :eek:

Tim86 likes this.
  17. Momentum

For those playing at home I got him to fix everything I wanted and also got him to tile the laundry for no extra cost so I'm happy : )

Tim86 and Kassy like this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Clearing the floor and doing it properly likely cheaper. Tradies charge extra for hassles and short cuts = hassles. The tiler could see it coming. Knew levels were all wrong. If tradie had a clean floor he would have self levelled low points and then rapidly finished with minimum cuts

wylie, Westminster and Kassy like this.
  19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Good point @Paul@PFI

20. Momentum

It would cost loads more cash/time to remove the tiles in order to have them all laid on the same level.. not worth it for the cost/benefit.