Should I get a Quantity Surveyor?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by shrimp42, 27th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shrimp42

shrimp42 Member

Hi folks,

I recently purchased an IP. It’s an apartment in a block of 12. The building was constructed before 1985. Does anyone have any good recommendations for Quantity Surveyors in Sydney? Is it worth hiring one, as I know I won’t be able to claim depreciation for capital works? I’m renting the apartment unfurnished, with only a dishwasher and stove(which were left by the previous owners).

I’m thinking a depreciation report will cost around $600-$700, so I’m wondering if it makes sense to order one if it will cost more than it’ll save.

Any help appreciated thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try contacting @Depreciator who is on this forum, he'll give you a heads up pretty quickly.

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Sounds like it might not be worth doing. I'm assuming it has not been renovated? I'll be able to tell you from photos whether there is anything there. we do that all the time.
    [email protected]

Stoffo and Baker like this.
  4. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

If you do need a QS, I've used @Depreciator for two properties and am extremely happy with the service. Plus free updates to the schedule - can't get better than that.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina Well-Known Member

I have purchased properties that were built prior to 1985, never got the depreciation schedule.

With the Quantity Surveyors, they will charge you $660. and if you don't make that money back in the first year. they will refund it.

If they guarantee, you will make your money back in the first year. go for it.

6. ACH123

ACH123 Active Member

QS reports are very useful. Depreciation benefits outweigh the $660 you generally pay.

Plus, for rental properties, the cost of the service is deductible.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My tax advice to every client is to always discuss the merits of obtaining a QS report with a QS. Follow their advice

Most of the majors all give a fee assurance. Its not a refund as Hari suggested. Or free !! They will cap their fee at a specific benefit. eg ""If we cant find double our fee in deductions in the fiirst full financial year there will be no charge""...hence they will reduce their fee to fit that value.

In reality this guarantee is pretty rare. Soenmtimes a slightly reduced fee. It approaches the point of no benefit. Many properties do contain more recent capital works and improvements as well as common areas. I often see reports with $1100 a year deductions. Every case varies. And some are not worth having done. But the QS can advise on this. I never want to suggest to clients that its not worth doing as I have no idea.

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2020
    Pingu1988 and Stoffo like this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.