should I get a depreciation for a 1960's strata unit in original condition?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Mw77, 28th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mw77

Mw77 Member

Hi i just bought an old strata unit, I think it was built around 1960's. It doesn't appear there was any renovation done. It's currently tenanted. I plan to renovate in future when the tenants move out in about 1 year time. I would like to get some advice as to whether I should organize for a depreciation schedule done or wait until after renovation. Thanks

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Sure. Why not?

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't everything in it be past its depreciation date?

I've asked similar questions before about "original" Queenslanders and the advice has been that it isn't worth doing. Everything is 60 years old or more.

Our son bought a 60 year old house, had the experts in to demolish walls and ceilings (asbestos), scrapped the original kitchen and bathroom. He paid for new plasterboard replacements, paid for painting, new kitchen, new bathroom. He had receipts for everything he put in and the advice from our accountant is that he has all the figures and so a depreciation report doesn't have to be done to put a value to these things. He knows exactly what the value is.

If he sold that house, the new owner would get a depreciation report because they would have no idea what he spent and it would have to be established by a depreciation expert.

So, once you renovate the unit, keep dockets for everything you spend and that can form the basis for what needs to be depreciated.

This is not advice, but simply what we've been told by depreciation companies for two different scenarios in our own family.

Marg4000 and Mw77 like this.
  4. Mw77

Mw77 Member

Thanks. That's what I thought, for example, my understanding is that you can claim carpet for 5 years, which means all items in the unit can no longer be claimed. But I read somewhere that says you can still claim on older unit even there is no renovation.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure one of the depreciation people will be along to give a professional opinion before too long. Please don't take my word for this, but this is my understanding anyway.

Mw77 likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

When you buy a place the fixtures and fittings have some value in them, even if not new, so there is still some to claim.

Mw77 likes this.
  7. Mw77

Mw77 Member

That makes sense! Thanks!

8. eskander

eskander Well-Known Member

speak to one of the depreciation companies, they'll give you an estimate of returns

Mw77 and JacM like this.
  9. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I think some of the depreciation companies give a guarantee to not charge if there report doesn't generate the tax benefits.

Still hard to see value but you never know.

I have used @BMT Tax Depreciation and they were good.

Mw77 likes this.
  10. Mw77

Mw77 Member

I am wondering whether ATO allows an item to be further claimed say carpet if it is 50 years old?

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, but it won't be worth much

Ross Forrester and Mw77 like this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Hell yeah!

Mw77 and samiam like this.
  13. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Mw77 likes this.
  14. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Yes I've used his team heaps, for old properties too. It will be worth it, just for the fixtures. They also do free updates to the reports, so as you change, hot water, stoves, a/c etc you just send it through and they update it.

Mw77 and samiam like this.
  15. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Terry is correct. When you buy even an old property, the carpet, appliances, HWS, curtains/blinds etc have a value. You might as well claim the depreciation on them.
    If you toss those items out before you do a tax return, the Dep Schedule will have a value for each item so you can claim the disposal/'scrapping' value.
    Send me some photos and I'll tell you how much depreciation might be in the flat. We do this several times a day for people, so it's not a big deal.
    [email protected]

Mw77, samiam, willair and 1 other person like this.
  16. Michael Feynman

Michael Feynman Member

I'm not sure about before/after renovation, but just to share my recent depreciation experience on a 1960s studio unit, about 35 m2, bought for 150K last year. Original condition throughout, quite shabby (did come with old-ish microwave and bar fridge). I've only recently had a depreciation report done because I originally didn't think it would be worth it. Total deprecation came to a bit over 16K (Y1 $3320, Y2 $2266, Y3 $1727, Y4 $1183...). I was amazed at the dollar values that were attributed to various items in the unit, but I guess the depreciators know what they can get away with.

Mw77 likes this.
  17. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

Compared to new or new-ish carpet, that's right. But people are often surprised at the value that can be put on that ratty old carpet. See Michael's post directly above.

Mw77 and Terry_w like this.
  18. Mw77

Mw77 Member

Thanks

19. Mw77

Mw77 Member

Thank you. I will try to organise some photos and send to you.

20. Pixie

Pixie Active Member

Hi, Im in a similar block and age.

We recently installed or replaced items in our building area, could that be claimed in depreciation?

Items are fire door replacements and hoses...

Thanks