Should I change to cash or leave australian super at balanced/high

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by bfhoon, 26th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bfhoon

bfhoon Active Member

G'day all

I've posted previously right after the stock market crash about opting out to cash in my super so far if I changed now my total super loss would be one whole year and I do salary sacrafice as well. So I've lost a decent chunk. People before stated its units not dollars etc etc but I know of many people that speculate a bigger drop in the aussie stock market coming very shortly. Who's changing to cash and why I'm thinking it might be an idea for a few months to ride out the tuff times ahead. At the moment im 50% balanced 50% high growth. I'm not phashed if I don't make any money I just want to see the money going in not lost and would change back to my aggressive options once the market starts to bounce back.

In theory though who knows if we have hit the bottom maybe not but I can't help but think its going to get worse.

Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

2. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

How far off retirement are you? I'm keeping mine invested in 100% aggressive and still Sal sac-ing but I'm 29. Can't see a benefit of locking in losses if you are more than 5yrs off?

Anne11 likes this.
  3. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

If you think the sharemarket will continue to perform over the long term, why would you want to avoid buying when prices are at their cheapest?

Anne11 likes this.
  4. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

But if you think it will go down after this FY, why not? It is all speculation for future result, but for now, you see the loss in real number, and we all lost money in Super, but some more some less... It is personal choice.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.