Should I buy a Bunnings Warehouse?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Beelzebub, 11th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Check this article out: http://www.news.com.au/finance/mone...mercial-property/story-e6frfmdr-1227479316459

Makes you want to bang your head against a wall. Apparently a 5.1% yield is impossible in the residential market.

Anyway, it seems silly to spend $10 million on a Bunning's Warehouse for a 5.1% yield. If that place goes bankrupt or decides to relocate you're stuffed. One near me recently upgraded to a larger store; I always wonder about the landlord who owns the old one. Occupied by a car dealer now, but I doubt they would be receiving the same rent as they were.

Does anyone disagree, and think buying a Bunnings with a 5.1% yield is a good idea?

2. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

All depends on the lease terms.

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

You only have to look at Burgess Rawson auction results. Even sub 5% yields for bank premises etc. Crazy.

I've seen Bunnings move twice in my hometown.

pinkboy

4. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

With 5% yield for commercial properties, I will only buy it if it has development potential. I was looking at a retail property on Hassell St in Parramatta asking for around $2.3M back in 2012. 450sqm corner block 6% yield. I remember it has 8:1 FSR but I didn't buy it as I didn't think it can satisfy the car space requirement. The owner somehow managed to get the DA approval for 30 units and sold for $5.5M last year.

MBO and legallyblonde like this.
  5. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

They seem to move frequently in my opinion; the one in Cheltenham (VIC) moved to a new site last year; Altona and Ballarat have also relocated in the last few years.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'd put my 23 million dollars, then 10 million dollars elsewhere.

7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Yep, seems like the doctor's got more dollars than sense.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You don't need to buy the properties directly.
    You can buy in $500 chunks through BWP which owns 80 stores and listed on the ASX.
    WALE is 6.6 years.

http://www.bwptrust.com.au/IRM/content/default.aspx

The Y-man

NOTE: not a recommendation!! I may have or may have had these in my portfolio.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

LPTs often sell below MTA as they're not fully understood by the market.

I saw a syndicate for a commercial building in Parramatta yesterday - 8% yield. Possibly ok for a SMSF as a medium term holding but no exit strategy for 5 yrs.

10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

If you had $10M, would it really matter whether you'd get $510k pa or $750k pa?
    both are still way more than I could spend. Plus Bunnings would probably make for an easy tenant.

Ben Wilkie likes this.
  11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

That Bunnings store in Swan Hill is relatively small the smallest I have seen has less product range, has very narrow aisles, limited parking and no room for expansion, I would expect in 10 years when the lease expires they will be looking for a larger site.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Steve McKnight talks about using value add to residential property, like renos, sub-dividing, development to increase your funds and then eventually moving into commercial property. Why bother if you're getting as good or better return on your residential properties?
    The good doctor should know that commercial property value/yield is different to residential property.

MBO likes this.
  13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Why bother? Maybe because he wants an easier investment. Imagine how many propertiirs youd need to have to get 500k a year in rent if they were each paying 500/week. What a bloody nightmare

The yields here certainly seem low but ultimately this guy is collecting well over $1m a year passively from a very strong tenant, he likely and probably justifiably doesnt give a damn what any of us think

charttv and spludgey like this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Meow! Skipped brekkie sanj?

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like 2 Wentworth St?

The Y-man

16. sanj

Not at all, i did include myself jn the group of people whose opinions dont matter to the buyer.

He owns over $30m of property, get morerent than he can spend and lrobably spends as much time on it as someone who owns 1 or 2 resi properties.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sure, he's rolling it in. But as a percentage it's not great, I'd be wanting to be doing better than a return of 5% on $30m.

18. sanj

So would i but it all depends on your age, goals and what else your portfolio is doing.

As it grows bigger and bigger youre likely to accept lower yields with less risk as theres already way more being generated than youd need.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

But if you were worried about the risk, you could just put it in the bank and live off the... oops, wrong decade ;)

20. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not that bad.
    Less than 10 minutes/week is all it takes.