Should I be getting Depreciation?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by bonanzawealth, 5th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bonanzawealth

bonanzawealth Well-Known Member

I'm buying brand new home as PPR but I'm thinking of turning it into IP in about 5 years time. When should I be getting the depreciation done? Is it as soon as the house is completed or when it's time to turn it into IP?

How much does it cost normally?

Much appreciated!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

When its about to become a IP. Get a quote at that time or check the online info at BMT or Depreciators website. You will do improvements in the next XX years. Keep records of your costs in that time and the QS will use it.

3. bonanzawealth

bonanzawealth Well-Known Member

interesting... didn't know I should keep records of the improvement. Thanks Paul@FPI

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Thats OK Bonazanda

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If you are purchasing new, try to get a depreciation schedule from the builder

S.T likes this.
  6. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Because actual figures are better than an estimate?

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Because many builders can you give this information for free and it can used by the future QS which saves time and money

S.T and Depreciator like this.
  8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yep. Good advice. And as others have said, no point at all doing a Dep Schedule till just before you move out.

Scott

9. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

Usually it's the opposite way around! A decent QS not only provides an estimate but a maximised estimate: essentially, the highest reasonable value that the ATO will allow. A builder's depreciation schedule will use actual figures.

The unfortunate part is that if you have the build cost or contract price paid to the builder, that's what needs to be used by a QS anyway. It leaves less room to maximise capital works deductions but there's still some room to move with fixtures and fittings (unless, of course, there's a complete breakdown of these!). Plus, tax rules like Low Value Pooling can be used to push more deductions up front, if that's what you're after.