Should I be concerned about main sewer line and manholes on property?

Discussion in 'Development' started by SJ&L, 20th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I saw a property and found out it has a main sewer line alongside the side fence and also has two manholes, I think this is quite rare as this is the first time I saw something like buried in the land, not every property has those on its land, they basically benefit the neighbors.

What I found out is you either cannot build above or near the main sewer line, or if you want to you will need to encase it (not cheap). Given it's alongside the side fence, it is not a huge problem, whoever wants to build a new house just have to leave more space between the house and the fence, like what the current old house has done. But is there any other problems I haven't thought of?

And when I resell later, do they turn some buyers away? How much impact they have on property price? Would love to hear everyone's opinion.

2. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

What if you want to put a swimming pool in?

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

It’s common to have sewers going through the side of a house. Unless you have advanced plans for subdivision/rebuild, for 99% of houses sewer is not a problem.

Encasing is not cheap but sewers can be diverted. It all comes to the purchase price and relative price for encasing the sewer. If you are buying a $3m house and plan to put in a $100k pool, you are less likely to be concerned by $10k you might need to spend to encase or divert the sewer.

4. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Thank you! I cannot divert it, because it is next to the side fence and also the back fence, there is no better place to put it. So basically if one day I need to build on it, I will have to encase it. Extra cost but doable.

5. standtall

Around $1k per meter plus inspections. If it’s too close to the fence, you probably can’t build there anyways.

6. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Thanks standtall! This is what the land looks like on contract. Without the main sewer line I think the land is big enough for duplex development, with encasement that would allow duplex to be built on top right? Not that I am doing any development myself right now, but I like to think about all possibilities and factor them in the price, as that's what future buyers would think too when I sell the property later on. Being able to ask someone like you on this forum is really really helpful!

upload_2021-6-21_22-3-59.png

7. standtall

Unfortunately you wouldn’t know until you actually lodge an application and the outcome might depend on many things such as depth of the sewer, zone of influence, type of sewer and type of development you are planning to do and there might be site specific conditions attached to building over sewer that will contribute to the cost.

SJ&L and bmc like this.
  8. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

and it looks like it could be 1.8 and 1.4 deep to invert of pipe

9. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Can i please ask what does this mean and how does it affect any development plan?

10. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

SJ&L likes this.
  11. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Ok I found out it's not just the sewer line, between the sewer line and fence there is a storm water easement as well. So I guess I just cannot build on that area, instead will have to use it as a side garden. Not sure how I should factor that in the price negotiation though... anyone got such experience?

12. Akuner

Akuner Member

I am in a similar situation, and the sewer main is running across the side of the property. Concerning this is property is already built and I need to find out if the property is built over the sewer main or not. I cannot see any easement on the sewer line on the contract.

Any idea on this? please help. I signed the contract and paid a 0.25 deposit already.

13. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

You should be able to see where the sewer main is on the contract, and normally you can see where the property situated on the land, so that way you can see if the property is built over the sewer main? Normally sewer main are next to the boundary and the property is built away from the boundary, so in that case the property is not on the sewer main. If not sure you may upload the diagram here so someone would probably give you some idea?

A sewer main does not mean it is an easement. In the property I bought the sewer main is not an easement.

14. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

the sewer mains (Sydney Water Corporation) are covered by legislation contained in this Act

legislation.nsw.gov.au

15. Akuner

Akuner Member

Hi SJ&L for your reply. Please see attached. The Sydney water says sewer main is 1.8m apart form the boundary, which I am guessing is the distance between fence and the red line...is that correct?

Attached Files:

16. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Yeah I would think so too. Is this your side boundary? Is the property built on that?

To me since the sewer main is next to the boundary, I am not worrying about it. Most of the time people use the area near the boundary as gardens anyway, with or without the sewer. If the sewer main runs across in the middle of the land then I would have some concern, it's rare but I have seen a property with sewer running under its bedrooms - not a good idea.

17. Akuner

Akuner Member

My main concern is if the property is built over the sewer. If it was on the side, I would not have any doughts either.I have attached the sewer plan and according to this I think the property is built over sewer and I haven't had any compliance document on the contract. Please let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

18. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

You are allowed to built on sewer line, what people do is they encase the sewer first then they build on it. Your diagram is outside my knowledge. See if anyone else can answer. Have you check with your solicitor about your concern of compliance document?

19. Akuner

Akuner Member

Yes, I have asked then and they have requested with the vendor's solicitor. no reply from the vendor's solicitor, it's been 4 days already. Now the agent called me and said they don't have it and have provided all the required documents by law.

I am so confused. Is there a way we can get the compliance document by ourself?

Thanks

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Buyers need to perform (paid) searches. This is one of the roles of your solicitor. They shoud ensure what you think you are buying is what you plan to get. Vendors arent required to assist. eg you see land and its says "DA approved...or subject to council approval"......You have to check it. What is approved could be restricted or even fail to comply and be rejected.

Buyer beware.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia