Should I add more IPs ?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by gateway, 27th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gateway

gateway Member

My situation is as follows

PPSR MV $750k owing $250k
    IP 1 MV $550k owing $ 400k
    IP 2 MV $370k. Owing $325k

I am in my early 50s married.We have been in AUS for about 10 years. Both of us are professionals together grossing over $220k p a. I also have an online business which makes about $25k pa. I am passionate about investing and my confusion is

Whether we should buy more properties which means more borrowings, I am already in 50s
    Whether the bank will lend me more
    Are we at the peak of property cycle and waiting is the right strategy?

So far so good, we don't know what is the best strategy going forward.Any advise from the experts would be great. Thanks heaps

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you think property will make you money why not buy some more/?

WestOz likes this.
  3. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

If you think the property market is coming off the boil why not look to invest in a mortgage investment trust or similar and use the positive income to start to pay down your PPOR.

This way you have exposure to property by way of a healthy annual yield with monthly interest payments but not the added costs involved such as stamp duty, council rates etc.

We are working more and more with clients adopting a debt reduction strategy especially on their non deductible debt.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

It's up to everyone's individual position. For me, I think I can purchase another property but that involves moving the loan from a big 4 to a lender like Liberty who seems to be increasing their rates at much higher rate in comparison to the big 4s which def affects cashflow. I am hoping that maybe next year, I can move out of Liberty and save a bundle.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

That might be difficult.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If you contact one of the great finance brokers on this forum they will be able to assess your borrowing capacity.

Sydney could be nearing a peak in prices and Melbourne may reach a peak in prices soon.

Perth prices are on the way down and the market may not have bottomed out.
    Brisbane prices are moving up but I don't think the market is near peak.
    Adelaide prices are moving but not near peak but then the market may not boom.
    Hobart is quite hot from my understanding.

There are a lot of options and unfortunately no one can give you one definitive answer.