VIC Short Term Leasing

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by David_91, 24th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David_91

David_91 Member

Hi All

I'm looking for opinions, ideas or suggestions on my current situation.

I recently purchase a property I'm planning to move into. The property has 4 beds, 2 bathrooms (1 an ensuite) double garage and two living areas. Settlement is early August 2020. I'm current renting where my lease ends late November.

I have the option of trying to end my lease early and work with the landlord to try get someone into the rental. I understand all the penalties and understand this could go well or it might not. Not looking for information on this.

What if I finished my current lease to November and rented my property for 2 months.
    - Do property managers have people who need short term leases? 1 or 2 months? Planning in calling around.
    - Using Flatmates? Advertise short stay.
    - Other ideas?

Airbnb won't work because It won't be worth fitting out the house with furniture.

2. AlphabetSoup

AlphabetSoup Active Member

Just so you are aware, its becoming increasingly difficult to find *any* tenant at the moment. So much depends what suburb you are trying to rent in, and what type of property you are trying to rent out. There is discounting already happening in certain suburbs/areas. I hate to think what it would be like when Jobkeeper and the higher rate Jobseeker end.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Seems pointless. Who would want an unfurnished property for 1 or 2 months?

Just move in early.

4. David_91

David_91 Member

@AlphabetSoup Yes I agree. That also a worry to end my lease early and find someone else for the same rent im paying. I will have to pay the difference for the two months otherwise.

@thatbum When people are in between buying renting. Lease ending before settlement and no place to stay in between, but I highly doubt will be many cases of this happening because not many places are actually selling.

5. David_91

David_91 Member

I think trying to end the lease early might be the best option hope it works out and I'm not too penalised.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've done a few that way in desirable areas where owners were undertaking home extensions and needed to be close to home/schools/work whilst they couldn't live in their own house.

David_91 likes this.
  7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

You might get really lucky and find someone whose timeframes match with yours, but probably unlikely. Might be a better option to spend the effort in giving plenty of notice to your PM so they can start early and maybe minimise your break fees.

craigc, AlphabetSoup and David_91 like this.