ASX Shares Short term COVID-19 opportunities in the stockmarket

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Sackie, 9th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

OK..hopefully not too much....this rodeo ain't over..the bull is still bucking son....

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Mate there will always be some folks who love to mock, ridicule and spur hatred. It obviously speaks volumes about those individuals.

Unfortunately it comes with the territory. It's a shame because it detracts from what is an otherwise great forum. I honestly believe most mature, sensible and intelligent posters here who just want to learn, improve and create some wealth will just see these haters for what they are and just ignore them.

Ok, back to the title of the thread! :p

Ko Ko Naing, Phar Lap, Big A and 2 others like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

About 10% of my kitty, just under $100 :p.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

My eyes are just exhausted from stock analysis last 2 days.

Think I'll move on to the toilet paper threads now. Am down to my last three 24 roll packs and starting to panic ;)

Archaon and Sackie like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I saw a little 'junk' store today near Coles that had toilet paper. It was only $6 for 4 small rolls.:eek:

6. kierank

I am during some serious research into laxative manufacturers.

With everyone hoarding up on toilet paper, they will need some way of getting through all of their purchases when this panic subsides.

These manufacturers will be their saviours :eek:.

Get in now is my thought :D.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I need one of those Japanese toilets...now that's a fantastic business to get into right now (provided water doesn't run out).

Kevvy7 and kierank like this.
  8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

There will be opportunities to add to portfolios or for those who aren't greatly exposed, to start whilst things are on special. Christmas will come but not quite yet.

I am waiting for some term deposits to mature over the next couple of months then will probably DCA via a couple of family trusts. It's best my liquidity is not high at present to prevent premature e-clickulation and hasty trades :p

Our SMSF has some cash however I don't see things are cheap enough yet. If Aussie market falls another 10-15% with haste I'll buy VAS or STW depending on their yield and my mood and that will be that.

Just wait till businesses start defaulting on debt obligations and we find out what sort of derivatives US banks and our banks are exposed to. Not to mention the opaque shadows of banks in China.

Our banks might look cheap on yield right now however that is probably a yield trap. Their dividends will cut not only due tighter margins from falling rates; it's all the BS they are exposed to and other mischievous activities that may surface.........there may be skeletons in the closet.

I feel like I'm in a movie and we're only 10 minutes in :cool:

Last edited: 10th Mar, 2020
    KayTea, Bender12, sharon and 6 others like this.
  9. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Stop picking on @Sackie everyone. :D He knew what dollar cost averaging was just didn’t recognise the abbreviated version DCA. I have noticed since some of the property people on this forum have migrated across to the shares side of the forum the tone of the posts has become a little more feisty.

The equities threads tend to be tamer due to the participation of the geriatric demographics that normally participate in the shares debates.
    P.S Hopefully no one takes offence to the reference of geriatrics. I much prefer this group than the younger and angrier property mob. :p

sharon and kierank like this.
  10. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Hey all, been involved in the property game for a bit and done ok to date - we have hit a pause with young ones keeping income down and banks away. I have been a long time lurker in these parts and have slowly learnt the long game of property to create the wealth and funds for income. We have cash which has been sitting there with the intent of getting involved in shares. Now kind of seems like a good time to take the plunge somewhat. My question is, if you were in our position (38/39, 1 and 4 yr old, 240k income) how would you go about purchasing your first lot of shares over the coming months? what type of shares/strategy should we be exploring? thanks in advance, can PM more details if it helps,

11. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Pfft don't be a pussy Michael, jump in mate cos the market is bouncing, I'm up 26k today so far. Water is warm :cool:

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This group probably have a wizer cohort :D

I find it interesting that most folks I hang around and enjoy the company of in life are probably decades older than myself. Reminds me of how much I don't know.

sharon, Archaon and Big A like this.
  13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Bizarre but true. I also tend to connect better with people older than myself. Hard to find many people under 40 that have an interest in the financial world.

sharon, Mws and Sackie like this.
  14. kierank

I for one am hugely offended.

Wait until @Nodrog , @SatayKing and their cohorts read your post.

15. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that here on PC its a term of endearment. :D

kierank likes this.
  16. kierank

... and some of us are only a couple of years older :D.
    ... and we will continue to remind you :p.

Sackie likes this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Actually given some of the names my wife calls me I’ll take geriatric as a compliment:).

Big A, Sackie and kierank like this.
  18. kierank

Don’t let your wife meet my wife.

Mine is a little darlin’ ;).

Sackie and Nodrog like this.
  19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The younguns' are about learn a very valuable lesson.....

You are right some of geriatrics will not miss a blip... but this down turn has a lot of nasty elements to it...I have seen the 1987share market crash...the 2008 GFC....this one has a major health crisis attached to it. When you have Scomo come out openly declare it maybe worse than 2008...watch out..... I don't know what it was like in 1929...but lets hope it does not go there.....hopefully it is much milder.

Why do I say this:

1. USA - No 1 economy's administration seems to have very little control of CV...we will know in 2 weeks.

2. China - No 2 economy - seems to getting on top of virus but economic activity not fully operational

3. EU - these economies are as large as the US. Italy is a basket case......Germany, France, UK cases increasing daily...

The above represent at least 50-60% of global economy....so a severe down turn can be expected at best...and worst case a recession.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I find the sweet spot is usually between 45-65. Also a ton of those folks have really achieved a lot old school style which I find works well. Old school meaning no whinging and whining and just getting on with it.

MWI, significance and Archaon like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia