ASX Shares Short term COVID-19 opportunities in the stockmarket

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Sackie, 9th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

So after much discussion over the last few days, we've decided we will invest a sizeable amount (between 2-3mil) into the stockmarket. Not just yet.

Can we keep this thread for those who see opportunities in the stock market, certain stocks, indexes etc. I am meeting with a consulting firm on Wednesday to have in-depth discussions on a tailored strategy for myself moving forward.

This thread is for anyone who plans to take advantage of the stock markets and their stories, stocks of interest etc.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2020
    twisted strategies, Cia, Des and 5 others like this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd
    NYSE: RCL

50 percent down..

As long as the level of hysteria is amped up to the max then some companies may find the next few months ..

twisted strategies and Sackie like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree, the next few months for stocks will be very interesting.

twisted strategies likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I was planned to go on their Cruise to Italy in June. I cancelled. Lost a small deposit. That's fine with me.

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Good a time as any but I'd probably DCA it.

sharon likes this.
  6. significance

significance Well-Known Member

My financial advisor suggested a funeral home investment. We've gone along with that suggestion.

Teleconference companies might still have room for growth, as the virus will get more people trying out teleconferencing to work from home or in lieu of travel, and may continue to use it after the pandemic passes.

One might consider looking carefully at travel agencies, airlines and airports, and selling short those that may not have the resources to weather the pandemic. For those that will survive, now might be a good time to buy while prices are low.

Dyson might be an interesting one if you want to take a long-shot, with this concept doing the rounds: Forget Bose noise cancelling headphones, these Dyson cans cancel AIR pollution | Tom's Guide. After this year's horror bushfire season followed by the Coronavirus, people in Australia and the US might actually be open to these odd-looking devices by the time they come out. And certainly, there will be a market in China if they do a good job with them.

I'm purely speculating here: stock picking is not something in which I have any expertise.

Cia, Danyool, Archaon and 1 other person like this.
  7. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

STO down 27% today. The Russians and Saudis are fighting about oil price. I'm a gambler and bought a small position at $4.92

Silverson and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's a stock I'm looking to accumulate more in.

Momentum likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What's DCA?

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just looking at the Dow Futures for tonight as the public perception is starting to shift from complacency to fear..

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Flight Centre
    Screenshot_20200309-123327.png

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Dollcar Cost Average...so drip funds in slowly rather than big bets in one hit.

Cia, Archaon, The Y-man and 2 others like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just thinking, Corona virus or not. Given people often book travel themselves/internet makes it easy, I think general retail travel agency businesses won't be needed so much in the future. Not sure how they are still thriving.
    My 2 cents.

Cia, Cmelderis, Jess Peletier and 5 others like this.
  14. significance

significance Well-Known Member

Business travel and the elderly. Many businesses mandate booking through a particular travel agent with whom they have a deal. Many old people still like having a travel agent arrange things for them (my parents still do).

Cmelderis and TAJ like this.
  15. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Any ETF investors (who don't have time for stock-picking) also considering actively managed funds if/when things go further south and stocks start looking cheap? The reasoning behind this is that value becomes easier to detect as fundamentals become more important going forward. Greater possibility of a good fund manager outperforming the benchmark.

16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I’ll by buying set amounts as it drops in company’s I see value in.
    Qantas for sure and sydney airport. They are gonna get hammered but will rebound nicely I think.

What are people’s thoughts on VAS, I read some said around $40, do you really think it can go that low? What do people think is fare value/buy in price?

significance and Sackie like this.
  17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

VAS holds about 24% in bank stocks and they've all been hammered but I doubt it will go under $70.

Barny likes this.
  18. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I think going against the herd at times like this is a great idea, but I would be doing some thorough due diligence on the firm you are engaging. what are the fees, how are your funds handled, how has their historical performance been, especially over a longer period of time have they outperformed the market. A lot of the horror stories from the GFC came not so much from the market itself but from the people managing the funds.

Cmelderis, kierank and Sackie like this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Qantas will probably lock in their fuel costs if the price of oil drops significantly. Fuel is by far the largest expense for airlines. Once COVID19 is done, travel (and Qantas) will bounce back hard.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2020
    Jmillar, Sackie, Toon and 1 other person like this.
  20. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s seems good value at the moment but the future unknown is holding me back. Airlines overseas have been grounded and the virus hasn’t really hit hear as yet. But if it does(probably) then qantas shares will drop way more than today’s prices.

I ran through virgins cash on hand 1 billion, debts of 5billion. If they have to ground their fleet like Europe I can’t see them surviving. Anyone know more about virgin Australia?

Toon likes this.