Short/medium term option to park cash

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Beachsnow, 9th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beachsnow

Beachsnow Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, as I normally invest in property I’m a little green on the options for investing cash other than the standard bank account. Have invested in shares in the past and have a basic knowledge of ETFs etc.
    I have a property that settles in a few days and therefore have a chunk of cash to park for 3-12 months depending when I find my next property purchase.
    An income stream would be nice, which attracted me to some commercial property funds such as one of the Stronghold property funds. I have no idea if these are suited to this length of time as an investment or which ones are reliable.
    Would something like this be a good option?
    Are they risky at all?
    My other option is 2.6% with an AMP hi saver account.
    Any other suggestions?

2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

UMAX is paying about 6% dividend, gives diversity and US exposure, relatively low risk by implantation of options. It also invests in other EFT's, There is some small FX risk, counterparty and liquidity risk if every-one bails out. It has underperformed the S&P 500 by about 25% by effectively insuring against falls( options) but should perform better in falling or stagnate market. YMAX is aus version, not sure if that has too high a concentration of banks and miners which you want to be aware of for AUS EFT's. Another good yield is RFF( REIT) giving about 7% dividend with little downside. A resilient REIT is AVN just had a good report giving a 6% dividiend, CGF could be OK with a 5% yield.

3. Beachsnow

Thanks for the tips @Fargo . Are these funds exposed to the same fluctuations as the stock market? I'm just a little worried about a stock market tumble in the next 6 months and losing a chunk of cash.

Brumbie likes this.
  4. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Very much so. Stick to the 2.6% option for capital preservation. Although AMP??

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Beachsnow

@Brumbie I think that might be the go. Whats wrong with AMP though? You might cringe when I say I was planning to split between AMP and Rabobank as each account has a max. deposit of $250,000

Brumbie likes this.
  6. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with AMP if you stick to $250k. Then its government guaranteed. All good. If it was way over and you could not split it, I would be looking at the banks reserves and stability for bigger amounts. Better options. I am diagnosed paranoid though!

7. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Short term, 3-12 months and shares do not belong together in my opinion