Shonky builder - Canberra owners left with unsellable apartments

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Joynz, 28th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

2. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Joynz. This guy is a crook but I blame the ACT govt. Their ridiculous system of letting developers use their own building certifier is the real problem. The lesson for those buying in Canberra is never buy apartments off the plan in this city as there has been so many new blocks constructed with major defects the past decade and longer. Look for blocks at least 3-4 years old and read all the bodycorp minutes in great detail before committing.

Toilandtrouble and Perthguy like this.
  3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I have to say everytime I come to Canberra for work I am amazed by the number of apartment blocks around. I thought why people want to live in apartments when there are plenty of land for houses .....

The only ones I thought makes sense are the ones at Kingston where they all have water views .....

4. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

I have stayed short term in some of the Kingston Foreshore ones and they are some of the worst unfortunately. You need to be very careful on apartments in Canberra.

Poor workmanship, cut corners, builders going broke.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There's plenty of land around, but it's deliberately restricted to keep prices high.

6. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

ACT borders are being reached in many of the suburban areas. They are running out of non protected land for land releases. The government is spruiking this idea and suggesting they will start building upwards along the tram corridors. This should continue to grow well placed houses and provide downward pressure for apartments.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice