House & Home Shock Electricity bill

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MyDarlinghurst, 3rd May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

my electrical bill for a 1 bedroom unit came in at $499 for a quarter !!!!!:eek::eek:

Couldnt believe it ...........Usually between $200 and $300

Rang Energy Aust only to be fobbed off with excuses and this was one

“ This time we read your meter .......usually we go off averages “. o_O

I still cant see how it can be $499..... these people are robbers and thie8ves

I paid it when iwas promised a 17% discount on paying within 7 days but triple the price on my normal

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

They were using estimates at my house due to meter access and my having dogs. I submitted actuals and my bill catch up was almost $900. Last read saw it drop down again to about $300 again.

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

seem a lot for 1 room, but electricity has gone up around 15-20% this year but if you got solar then your feed in price also gone up to match so you got solar no electricity price rise.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

@MyDarlinghurst - have a look on their website and see if they let you submit actual meter readings like @DaveM did ... that way your regular bills will be more inline with what you're actually using (as opposed to estimates based on averages) and you won't get large "catch up" bills every so often when they actually read your meter.

Perhaps look at swapping to monthly billing instead - spread your bills out instead of getting one large one each quarter. They'll still only read your meter once a quarter (or less!), but at least the payments are spread out more.

5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Im shocked its been an hour and we havent had this thread derailed into a pun thread.

pinkboy

chylld, Brady, DaveM and 1 other person like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's about time we saw some good conduct in threads like this.

Phantom and 158 like this.
  7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Hes just keeping us up to date on current events

Phantom, Perthguy, 158 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Check for faulty switches, we had power bills over $1,000 per qtr at our last place, I replaced a faulty light switch and they dropped to around $350 per qtr.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've been in meetings, too busy causing mayhem and averting disasters to get involved in derailments.

@geoffw @wylie - put me in the sin bin.

Stoffo and 158 like this.
  10. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

If you have an electric hot water system, check that hot water is not leaking from the PTR valve. This was the cause of a sudden marked increase in a electricity bill for a friend I have who lives in a one bedroom apartment. Fixed it by just manually exercising the valve a few times.

11. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

@MyDarlinghurst - Suggest you tabulate the last 3-5 bills. Seems to me they have been doing estimates all this time.... Is the current reading correct? If yes then I agree, they are doing catch-up.

12. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Any chance you've bought a cheap heater from K-Mart recently?

D.T. likes this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We are the opposite. Had a few estimated bills then one for around $200 as we had obviously been overpaying.
    Marg

14. Simon Hampel

I know you were just stirring the pot - but that's actually a good point.

Those cheap electric heaters can draw as much as 2.4kW and aren't very efficient. Going to use a lot of power trying to heat a room with those!

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Dan Donoghue

2.4KW? thats bloody massive Our house consumes 0.5 - 1.0 for everything most of the time, each air con unit only throws another 0.2 - 0.3 on there most of the time. Our hot water seems to spike us significantly though (like an extra 3.5KW as soon as we turn the shower on) which is weird being that it's solar hot water.

16. Simon Hampel

An aircon using 0.2kW is going to do nothing. Most aircon units are rated somewhere between 2kW and 6kW ... are you sure you're measuring the correct thing? 0.2kW on fan-only mode perhaps?

As an aside, I have an 850W power supply in my workstation and another 750W in my file server ... but they are highly efficient units and wouldn't use anywhere near that for normal operation.

Indeed everything on my desk (3 monitors, speakers, phone chargers, lamp, laptop, workstation, and miscellaneous other devices) is currently drawing 230W according to the power meter I have it all attached to.

17. Dan Donoghue

We have it on 22 degrees on the thermostat, it's a split system (there are 5 seperate ones in the house). I don't know what power rating they are.

I only know how much power we use through the Tesla app.

I will whack it down to minimum temp tonight and check a before and after.

Of course it's open to interpretation as my PC is also always on and that can fluctuate and the Fridge Freezers can also fluctuate.

The tumble dryer consumes a lot but that is to be expected.

Through the night when just the always on things are running we sit around 0.4 - 0.5 KW, we don't even get through a full battery before the sun comes up again the next day. Unless it is a really bad day we don't really pull anything from the grid (we push plenty back to it though)

18. Dan Donoghue

B481CA39-B025-4CF1-B239-F5193EE8B56A.png So this is my house about an hour ago, computer, fridges and routers are running oh and kitchen lights.

19. Dan Donoghue

And this is right now, fluctuations are fridges and freezers kicking in and out, PC doing stuff, we are not home currently so this is just General stuff, TVs on standby, multiple pi’s running and stuff. 77537BDC-51F6-412C-8337-495845BDD10A.png lights outside are on sensors so they could be running and stuff.

20. Dan Donoghue

Here you go mate, at home watching tv with lights and big size tv and everything on as a baseline, then I turned the aircon on at 16 degrees ie force it to run hard, waited 5 minutes to let the battery refresh it’s consumption over wifi. 500 watt difference (double than when we have it on 22 degrees) FYI it’s bloody freezing in here now but was worth it in the interest of science ;).

48326281-2A27-4284-B8D3-86966B8688E2.png
    F0279AC7-C32C-4060-98D8-A29061D3B917.png

purplecat and Perthguy like this.