Shipping Container Discussions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by QbiK Evolution, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Also work great as a fallout shelter! Dig a big hole and drop a container in!

3. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

4. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

That's a cool example I wish I could of seen it in the flesh. I've heard on some forums that he over capitalised hugely and now has to sell but.

5. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

He did sell, it sold for around $1.4-$1.5 million some time last year if I remember correctly.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Spot on. The sale price was $1,420,000. From watching Grand Designs, there was no indication they were building it to sell. They were setting it up as a 'forever' home. It seems a shame they had to sell it.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-graceville-115296503

http://www.realestate.com.au/blog/house-made-of-31-shipping-containers/

UPDATE: "The home ended up being put on the market, the size being too big for Todd and his family in the end."

http://www.gatewaycontainersales.com.au/zieglerbuilds-unique-shipping-container-home/

7. QbiK Evolution

Saw this article in the grand designs magazine. I really agree with his points about reappropriating space to areas where we can take advantage of it.

Not for everyone but hopefully there is a trend for building this way in the future.

Attached Files:

8. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Yikes, my eyes are good but not that good! The writing is too small :D

9. Brad-corp

Brad-corp Member

Bringing an old thread back to life.
    Does anyone know if you need council approval to have a small (10ft I think is the smallest) shipping container in your backyard? It would be visible from the street on a 650m2 block in BCC zoned for low density residential.
    Ideally, I'd like to put a glass slider on the shipping container and build a deck off it. I'd run cold water to it and maybe put in a small water heater and would build an outdoor kitchen in there. I'd add eaves to the front to give some cover from rain, but most of the deck will be open air.
    If I can put it in without council approval, how far off the fence does it need to be? I have no neighbour on the side it would go as I'm on a corner block.

10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Some Councils have very strict "shipping container" rules. Some require full cladding so they don't look like a shipping container.
    Often just cheaper to build from scratch.

11. QbiK Evolution

Depends what your after. For me it was cheaper to drop in a container than have someone pour a slab and frame it up.

12. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

My father in law did it. He worked out that it was cheaper to buy on and on sell it than pay for storage. Was in his backyard for about three months

13. QbiK Evolution

That's my plan also. I built a granny flat from mine. In the future I plan to develop the block that it's on. So when that time comes I will pick it up and move it to another house or maybe a small holiday home. It gives me so much more flexibility. I do understand that it's not for everyone but.

14. Brad-corp

Brad-corp Member

I drove past a club in the valley the other day called 'Ex-Cargo' which is entirely build out of shipping containers. It was genuinely very cool.

I do like the idea of a shipping container as an outdoor kitchen. This is not our forever home, so the possibility of throwing the container on the back of a truck and dropping it off at our new place is very appealing. Instant outdoor entertaining area!

Still looking for someone who can point me to BBC rules about these things.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Councils often will not approve a structure which is potentially relocatable in most urban areas. They are confined to areas with zoning and site approval for relocatable property eg Caravan parks, van villages etc etc and not in general resi zones. Plumbing, electricals etc all require approval and construction to the BCA.

I saw yesterday the new 100% 3D mapping of all Australian property and it includes all structures 1m2++ in size for use by councils. A desktop satellite view of every lot.

16. Brad-corp

Brad-corp Member

I think Paul meant 10m2+
    I had a quick look at this as well. It even includes trees and things too. It can be used to predict how new proposed developments will cast shadows, etc. Pretty impressive, but also pretty invasive!

17. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Where can we see this 3D mapping?

18. Brad-corp

Brad-corp Member

19. Merlin.j.haynes

Merlin.j.haynes New Member

Hi @QbiK Evolution , my partner and i want to build a container home here in tassie, we are in the financing process at the moment and are wondering if you know which banks might lend to us? Or the best way to sway them? It seems like even though its not going to be mobile people are still confused by why we want to use them. we dont have building plans yet and are hoping to get this piece of land to build on before it sells.

Any help is much appreciated.

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Talk to David at
    Tessellate Modular
    and see if he has any ideas.

The Y-man