Shed/garage builders in Perth, eastern suburbs.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by moridog, 11th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Eleven years after building the house I am ready for a garage/shed! I’m a bit spatially challenged but I would like a big one! With a single roller door but a separate entry door, I am thinking colourbond with a pitched roof may be the way to go but am open to all suggestions, quotes and ideas. I would need a pad laid at the end of the driveway and given I have the urge to stab myself in the eyes with blunt toothpicks, am prepared to deal with the council myself for planning permission which I assume I will need. Thanks in advance.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup you will need planning permission. The shed builder might or might not handle it for you.

Our new shed bits are being delivered tomorrow. I'll ask DH where it's coming from.

3. moridog

Thanks Westie!

4. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Completed a house with shop drawn trucore steel frames recently in Janebrook. Great product, fast to construct, termites/fire etc.Highly recommend it as a great building product.

Do you have a budget and approx m2?

5. moridog

I will step it out, will that do? And I am think8ng 10 k ish?

6. moridog

After a noted lack of interest I am considering project managing this myself. I know what I want, and I also want a toilet and basin there, the council had no problem with that per se, and I’ve had that talk with them and have the documentation. I am a bit lost as to the order however, firstly I need someone to draw it up, who does this, a draftsperson? And when I order the steel, would they recommend someone to construct or what trade do I look for? Thanks in advance, I already have a concretor and plumber and sparky.
    However, the local council are very pedantic so I need to do it right.

7. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

How big is this going to be in m2?

Admire your spirit but if you are this unsure with those htings perhaps get in touch with a builder to quote it for you to see if it is worth passing on the liabilit. If you are adding in a toilet and basin I am unsure if $10k is going to be enough.

8. moridog

I’m going to re step it out, I have called a couple of builders, they said it was too small a job for them. I’m only going to build one once so I am happy to pay for it, you want to see the jerry built sheds I have now! Once done, I can landscape properly and it is done, probably be ready to retire and sit in my shed, with a handy nearby loo! Lol.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ok I have found that DH encountered same issue. So he ordered a shed to be drawn up and made by Wide Span sheds then found a company to erect it. He had someone lay the slab and then the builder came and built it. I'll PM you his details

10. lidz

lidz Member

If your talking about a steel frame, colorbond shed then you need to talk to shed companies not really builders directly. A company like Stratco, Ranbuild, etc. They'll have standard sizes or you can specify what you want.

We put up a 6mx10m 4 car garage / shed a few years back in Melbourne. Talked to several shed companies (literally just google colorbond garage or shed for a load of local options) before settling on what we wanted & from who.
    They provided engineering drawings for that garage & recommended a planner. Could also take to any other planner or submit to council ourselves. They then provided 3 local concreters they recommended & 3 local companies that could put it up, it was then up to me to contact any or none of them & organise it myself.
    I also needed my owner builders license, this is to minimise risk to the shed company essentially.

You then deal with each trade separately if you choose to engage them, you can do concrete or assembly yourself should you choose too.

Other than their planner who was a pain / useless all the other recommendations where great, I sourced some extra windows & a glass sliding door & installer put it all in too. Shed was up in 3 days.

moridog likes this.
  11. moridog

Thanks Łidz and Westie. I have one company coming tomorrow to quote and the builder of Westminster’s shed is coming next week to quote also, I’ll keep you posted!