Shattered shower screen - who is to pay?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Taku Ekanayake, 9th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

So if someone has a Bunnings near by, but not many other choices, you're suggesting in many cases they should just order online?

Look I agree with you that Bunnings is not the best but you're either delusional or overly idealistic if you think they haven't decimated the competition and left us with a lot less choice.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I go for the wire reinforced glass.

Probably out of fashion now and more expensive but safer IMO.

I can recall countless late nights where I've stumbled in the bathroom to drive the porcelain bus and have accidentally hit the glass shower screen. Cracked, yes, but never shattered, the glass that is..

3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I agree. For shower screens I go with a local shower/glass person, if there is an issue they come back and fix it. Bunnings is prob imported glass....

4. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

If the builder supplied and installed the screen then it's his problem, even if t was a faulty screen, he should be the one chasing up Bunnings. Not your problem. If something like this happened in my business I wouldn't expect the customer foot the bill.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

I can't comment too much on who should be paying for the replacement (everyone will point the finger at the other people and you will be unable to prove anything), however I have had two shower screens shatter on me. Both times I was in the shower getting out and ended up in a rain of glass resulting in quite a few nicks and cuts. Not fun at all. Chalk it up to being fortunate that there was no on around when it happened if no one will own up.

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

You need to follow up who ever you paid for the product. If that was the builder then you need to remind him of that.

Either way, place your formal request for a replacement in writing and contact your states Department of Fair Trading and they will guide you.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  7. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Just an update on the shower screen - the issue has been resolved and my builder has agreed to pay for a new screen and install.
    Thank you very much for all your advice!

I pretty much read out the post by @Paul@PFI above, amongst a few other tidbits written on here, and we were quick to come to agreement. New screen has been installed now.

Thank you to Paul and everyone - you just saved me a few hunderd bucks!

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

He was trying it on hey....your lucky he came to the party.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Taku glad it all worked out. Did you speak like @Paul@PFI with authority and power?

Terry_w likes this.
  10. 5080

5080 Active Member

If builder was the one that supplied and installed the screen and there hasn't been any one else in the property since him supplying and installing, then it is up to him to replace the screen. You have a contract with your builder, i.e quote supplied and accepted by you, your screen is now broken and no one else has been in the property, therefore he should replace it at his cost and expense. If it was a faulty product then he has a contract with the supplier of the goods and should seek a refund, replacement etc with them. These screens are made from toughened glass and are designed to shatter into small pieces upon impact so you don't cut yourself on large pieces of glass. Other types of glass reinforcement is one or more pieces laminated together with plastic in between like a car windscreen or the older shower screens had wire running through them.

Bunnings are a pain in the bum especially for items with blue special order labels on them, but they are open late 7 days a week and all over the place.

11. 5080

5080 Active Member

These standards are referenced in the Building Code of Australia under Glazing. AS 1288

12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

JDM, I'm sure the rest of the readers are glad you survived "unscathed" from this scary experience, and it may be worth investing in Datto's wire reinforced glass, as it's been said that bad things happen in threes, which in the context of your story doesn't leave much leeway...

JDM likes this.
  13. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Even with standards glass can have quality issues.

The building I work in is about 7 years old and has had 2 large internal 1.5mx2m glass panels for walkways (approx. 40kgs each) fall from about 5 levels up and smash into public areas just near building lifts. We were told there were (are...???) defects in the glass panels.

It blew my mind to think that such issues can still happen.

14. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

Some screens and outdoor tables are made from recycled glass and can and do explode anytime.
    Had a glass table in IP explode about 4.00am filling tenants handbag and shoes with glass luckily they were asleep at the time. Watch out for glass roof panels too.