Sharesight & VGS Dividends

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Banawarra, 22nd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Banawarra

Banawarra Well-Known Member

I started using Sharesight last month for both my SMSF portfolio and my family trust portfolio. So far it seems great and gives another place to save trade contracts and dividend statements. It also seems pretty good value for money. I am using two different online brokers for each different entity to maintain separation and reduce the chance of mistakes, Sharesight is great to be able to look at everything in the one place.

A question to the knowledgeable forumites who are using Sharesight and own Vanguaurds VGS. When it comes to confirming the dividend payment I want to check that I am doing it correct. I have downloaded the attached file from Vanguards website and are entering each category of the dividend payment manually as per the percentages on the vanguard printout. Their dividend payment form gives minimal information. Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers Banawarra
    image.jpg

2. Banawarra

Also after going to Peter Thornhills course I'm trying to follow his recommendation and set my benchmark as the ASX Industrials index.
    Can anyone help me with the ticker code he uses for his motivated money graph that we have all seen here multiple times thanks to Austing.

Thanks

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I don't use Sharesight but find it meaningless recording each quarter's detailed distribution data for Vanguard ETFs as the finalised accurate data will be on the annual statement. Hence I just record the total distribution amount for the quarter then just give the accountant a copy of the EOY statement. This statement will detail what goes where on the tax form.

4. Banawarra

Thanks Austing, any help on Thornhills benchmark ticker?

5. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Hi @Banawarra, I use XNJ (S&P ASX 200 industrials).

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Wrong one, that's only a sector index
    The one you want is basically everything except Resources and with dividends reinvested (accumulation):

XJIAI - ASX 200 All Industrials Accumulation Index from memory. However I don't think it's available to the general public. If you find it let us know:).

Cheers

Last edited: 23rd Dec, 2016
  7. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

I should clarify that I don't "use" it per se.

In fact, I am trying not to overcomplicate it by trying to measure it against this and that. There are hundreds of those indices out there and one can do their head in trying to figure all of it out.

I keep an eye on the monthly, quarterly half-yearly and annual reports and read LIC commentary. I will be keen to watch the progress on growth in dividends over the short to medium term. Of course, invest for the very long term.

Other than that, I will watch Peter's charts when he updates it and that will confirm if I am on the right track. Peter seems to source his charts from Patersons Securities or some such using contacts from his funds management time perhaps?

8. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just started using share sight trial version. Newb question, what is the difference between
    percent (compounded)
    percent (simple)
    dollars?

upload_2016-12-23_17-54-18.png

Attached Files:

9. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia