Shares From $1m to $5.2 in 24 months

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Terry E., 26th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry E.

Terry E. Member

It is still a wild ride. The tech stocks had been pumped in Aug by a Fund firm in Japan (my understanding) who probably made billions. Of course that means some who got onto these then also probably lost big too. With AMD we are expecting more good news Friday, so we will see what that brings. The rest is going okay, but as I said I feel for those SMSF people and pensioners who when bank rates went so low listened to the media and bought ANZ. WBC, NAB. Big hits to take at those ages.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  2. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Well and done and when are you going to take some profit?

3. Terry E.

Terry E. Member

We are probably going to pull out a large chunk next year. It has gone way beyond our goal, our portion is bouncing between 6.8 and 7.4. We have also pulling out around $250 -$300K per year. Market it volatile but there is still a strong floor. Our son is doing much better. He is young and can handle stress that I cannot and his research is years ahead of my IT understanding. Since March 2018, when he had $600k, he has gone to $3M in Oct of 2018, back down to $2.4m when the price adjusted, moved to CFDs and paid for his learning but dropping $500K in just one month, so was $1.8m in June 2019, then $5.2M in June 20, and passed $12.4M last week. Would now be $12.5 after Qantas yesterday. Combined the three of us in our super pension fund have gone from $1.6M in March 2019 to 2 1/2 years later a fraction under $20M although we may have now passed it. I am sure the big funds would offer him a management job, but why kill yourself in such toxic environments to make basically what he does now. Almost be a step back. Actually he left Commbiz as a platform as he found when he was putting through trades there was a delay and the price would jump by the time he made his trade. He realised that some of the Commbiz people were following him and buying before him. Why he left. When people ask what he does he tells them, Data input operator working from home.

Perthguy, MWI, craigc and 8 others like this.
  4. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

May I ask what platform is he now using?

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just from the sidelines,but what timeframe was the delay with the trades as every now and again i notice when a large order at market prices goes through it goes down on a few i watch ..imho..
    btw..well--done even in after--tax dollars..

6. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing this journey @Terry E. a most fascinating tale

Perthguy likes this.
  7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Challenge established.

Share portfolio balance from $1M to $5.2M within 24 months.

24 month clock starts ticking for each individual on the first date their share portfolio closing balance passed $1M.

Clock started ticking on my portfolio 12 November.

Last edited: 24th Nov, 2020
    chindonly, wilso8948, mitsui and 3 others like this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm in.
    Hit 1m on the 16th November after a phenomenal rise the last two months.
    Although... I suspect we are all going to get there, or none of us (ADN/NVA/RAC/RAC/RAC)

wilso8948, trinity168 and inertia like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back @Bran. We haven't seen you for a while.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I’m in also.

How do you prove your balance ? Just on the word?

For a prize I’d like vouchers for a free lobotomy so I can raffle them off.

11. wombat777

Just on the word.

I've saved a screenshot of my portfolio chart from sharesight.

wilso8948 and datto like this.
  12. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

This should be interesting...

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Nice! Would love to hear what you've been up to Bran!

Cheers,
    Inertia.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ooh, I'm an interested bystander. Too much in offsets and still too many properties. Nearly at the halfway mark though.

15. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

When/what was your turning point @skater to stocks? :)

wombat777 likes this.
  16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't actually 'turned' as such, and am very much a novice. I admit, I absolutely don't know what I'm doing. :eek:

After selling down some properties & filling up offset accounts, I decided to 'dabble' a little. Better yields, less paperwork and no maintenance was the driver. So.....I put a heap into some banks and some EFT/LIC's for yield. Well....that didn't do so well did it when Covid arrived & the yields on the banks dried up.:eek: Luckily I wasn't dependent on the income, and the rentals kicked along nicely too.

So now I'm sitting on a sea of red, but some of them have started to come green. The real winners though have been ADN, MEP, NVA and RAC. Just putting small amounts in regularly. Got another house on the market at the moment & could 'go to town', but I am still just plodding. Regular $5k or $10k deposits.

Ooh, just checked, another red turned to green. So tracking about 50/50 now red verses green, with the above 4 greens well overtaking any losses from the reds.

charttv and trinity168 like this.
  17. wombat777

After a while you stop screaming and enjoy the ride

E318EF15-B5FC-4EC3-8F4D-EE7B0DBDD42F.gif

trinity168 likes this.
  18. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

It is surprising based on the above you went down the individual stocks route along with some LIC and ETFs.

If I were you I would seriously rethink and consider below advise from Buffett.

Simplify the stock portfolio to couple of ETFs one for Australian market and one international would be a good route to follow IMHO.

Cheers
    Oracle

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I'm happy with how things are going. Like I said, I've got some LIC/EFTs in the mix, and to be honest, although their performance has been better than the banks, it really hasn't been stellar. Just treading water, and I'm fine with that, I really didn't expect anything else and will be keeping them for income.

I've been re-evaluating the Banks, will keep some & ditch others eventually, but the above 4 shares, that I mentioned above (ADN, MEP, NVA & RAC) I headed into with money I could loose. After reading up on them, I was confident that there was more upside than downside, and only invested small amounts initially. They have well and truly surpassed my expectations.

trinity168 likes this.
  20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm a daredevil at heart. Never did scream on the roller coasters. Lil is the same. Hubby & older daughter would prefer the quieter rides. :D

trinity168 likes this.