Shares for SMSF

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by ripas, 4th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ripas

ripas Member

im seeking to invest circa $150k of my SMSF into shares to ensure a diverse portfolio. Planning to have up to three properties.

Some searching in these threads discovered the option of:

50% VAS (Vanguard ASX300 Index ETF)
    50% VGS (Vanguard MSCI World ex Oz index ETF)

Any feedback or additional options - I understand this is a long term strategy.

2. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

That's about as close as you can get to the simplest, most diversified passive portfolio. Which sure makes things straight forward. Well done!

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The information posted on forums in NOT financial advice. Its unlicensed and really could end up with aweful consequences if all of the financial situation is not considered.

truong likes this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

No problem Paul. Above deleted post was a personal view not a recommendation. But will stop posting to the forum from now on in case it gets misconstrued as advice. Seems a waste of time anyhow given others can "pay" you for financial advice.

Funny thing though, I only started to become a truely successful investor when I stopped taking financial advice from "professionals".

Rusty12, keithj, Redwood and 3 others like this.
  5. ripas

ripas Member

The suggestions were not taken as formal financial advice

6. truong

truong Well-Known Member

No no, keep posting austing. I for one have learned a few things from you. Just specify it’s not advice.:)

The Butler likes this.
  7. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

+1.
    Please keep posting.

8. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I have a huge respect for Vanguard. I have invested with them in the past as well, and their fees are reasonable in comparison to many others.

In terms of which investment vehicle to invest in, IMO, you need to do more research. Timing in the stock market is everything........and you need to figure out which vehicle is providing you with a better return at each stage of the market.

For example, small caps do better during a maturing bull market..........and do worse at other times. During a commodities boom, the transport sector is a good place to be........and the worse to be right now.

ASX300 and World ex aren't bad options. They are reasonably conservative places to be if you don't have the time to invest. IMO, I would rather be more active.....but understand others who can't be.

9. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

+2 keep posting.

I don't see how it's financial advice if you're not posing as a professional. Though I believe you'd do a much better job than most people who charge for this sort of advice anyway

10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep, @austing ignore the accountant.

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words but it was not my intention to try to gain brownie points.

I admit my own personal experience with financial planners (be it from financial planners in general, banks, accountanting firms or licenced newsletters etc) has been very negative and cost me dearly. Add to that numerous friends and knowledge of countless others who have had similar negative experiences has me seeing red when a "professional" jump in with their "self-promotional" warnings.

Please do yourself a favour. Learn to take responsibility for managing your own money. It's just not that hard, quite simple in fact compared to most pursuits. If you make a few mistakes you will learn from them. Just because you use a professional for financial advice don't think for a moment you're immune from loss! And you will have the pleasure of paying "big fat fees" for the privilege.

Sorry for the rant but I have issues with the financial planning industry in general hence my response.

Rusty12, Erida, Redwood and 4 others like this.
  12. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hi Austing,

please keep contributing to this forum. I have gained a lot more insight from you than your detractor. The support you have is obvious in this thread.

Keep On Posting!

sev