Shareholder Activism

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Nodrog, 23rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Personally I feel many of these so called Activists should be $@##%%^¥¥. Excuse my language sorry. Yes in some cases their action is warranted but more times than not it is short termism and the desire for a quick buck at play.

Here is an interesting article on the topic in relation to Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway Co:
    Will Berkshire Hathaway Eventually Get Broken Up By Activists?

Reminds me a bit of Perpetuals and Carnegie's attack on SOL.

Whatever happened to long term inter-generational investing?

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2016
  2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

The root of short termism is in short term performance measures and the incentives that relate to them. That and good old opportunism. BUT, there are certainly times that activism is required. The Carnegie / PPT play on SOL required ATO demerger "relief" anyway that was always unlikely....and you know my view on that anyway :)

Will be interesting to see how things play out with BRK. I am ambivalent on a post Buffett break up really. The good thing is the owned businesses are still worth owning in their own right.

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Jun, 2016
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Quote...
    It’s possible that Buffett’s estate will be able to hold off the activists while his shares are slowly transferred to the Gates Foundation and sold off. But you have to assume that a publicity-hungry activist investor or two will eventually take their shot at “unlocking value” in the various Berkshire holding companies.