Shared sewerage easment

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Honey, 25th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Honey

Honey New Member

Hello
    My first time here and need some help.
    My neighbour and I share the one sewerage inspection easement.which is located at front of property in corner of their land.
    It is located on their side of boundary line.We are putting up a boundary fence
    Who has to leave access for Water and council.?
    Do we have to provided them with access or the neighbour,as it is on their land or as it's shared usage is it both sides.
    Thankyou really appreciate some help.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I don't understand your question.
    You state the easement and pipe is on the neighbors property, so why would you need to provide access ?
    Also, if the pipe isn't the "main" the waterboard don't care as only the "main" is their asset, everything else is yours or your neighbors (and the liability for maintenance usually falls to the owner of the property it is on).

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2021
  3. Honey

Honey New Member

Sorry bit hard to explain.
    We are in a regional area and the sewerage system on a vacuum system.
    Periodically Hunter Water have to access it.
    It is a inspection pit covered with a round plate.
    Both properties are connected to the one system, but inspection plate is located on the neighbouring property not ours.
    We want to put a front fence up and a boundary fence. But not sure if we have to leave an access point for them or is this the neighbour's responsibility

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I've not had much to do with Vac sewers, but normally everything prior to the main is the land holders .

To understand easements better, basically if Hunter Water have an asset on your property you need to ensure access, if it's on your neighbors property they need to ensure access.
    Your sewer on your property is normally your asset, when that same pipe runs on your neighbors property it is normally their asset