Education & Work Share your local Naplan results

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The Sydney Hills District has a reputation for very good school results (even for non selective schools) and that is a draw card/one of the drivers for parents to buy in the area (along with the area simply being pleasant). Well, here are the Year 3 Naplan results for a very large public primary school in Castle Hill NSW. The non filled in triangles indicate how the school performed in each exam.

And... well done to my niece. Off the charts in Spelling! She's still young but she's a very diligent and responsible individual, and also very strong, brave and active. Skilled in gymnastics, long distance running and she's on the Student rep council too.

Ok, an Asian parent might say, "Her maths need tutoring!"

But I say.... Go girl! 20180922_065159.jpg

Dan Donoghue, icic and Redwing like this.
  2. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Nice one! I am also particularly proud of my niece too, extremely diligent and very self motivated. Always comes first or second in the class, captain of the class, first in swimming, and won numerous in piano competitions in various levels.
    Her parents are definitely not the type of tiger moms and dads the negative stereotype the mainstream media portrayed. Aside from weekly Piano and swimming lessons that she can't get from public school that she gets. She received no tutoring for anything else. They lived a very balanced family life like their neighbors.

I am hoping my kids will have that diligent trait and intellect that she exhibits. That will be a bonus as I am already grateful that they are healthy and happy.

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2018
  3. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Great results. Do you by chance know which methods her school uses to teach spelling? Do they do any specific programs?

4. Gockie

When she was in Kindy, the way they'd learn spelling is everybody would get a set of words to learn each week. Nail that and you'd get progressively harder words to add to the list.

Oh great! My sister and husband don't send the kids to school coaching. This gal is simply diligent and responsible by herself. She wants to emulate her older cousin (who is in year 8) who is super talented - she's a dancer/gymnast/cheerleader but also doing well in school too. With the older girl, one day at school (maybe PE) they were supposed to do all these leg press exercises, I think she was doing something like 180kg whereas the other girls were only doing maybe 80kg. And with the ab exercises (I think) she had to ask the teacher to make it a lot harder. She kept asking to keep upping the difficulty. I think all the other kids would not have been happy about that!

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Sep, 2018
  5. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

My son goes to Carlingford West. He is to young for Naplan yet but I would say the schools results will be up there. Lots of little tutoring places on every corner here :)

6. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Congrats!

My daughter who is now in year 5 got all triangles (band 6 and above) in her year 3 NAPLAN. She went to the local public school and didn’t get any coaching. We were pleasantly surprised and decided to invest more into her education and moved her to a private school for a well rounded education as her public school was massively academics focused like most schools in Hills.

She now plays basketball for the school, participates in debating, got selected class representative for her class and also currently in the running for the school captain. Not to emotion she is a year younger than most her peers (started school at 4).

While the world out there is more competitive now, this new generation of kids are also a lot brighter than their parents for sure :)

Edit: She did Kumon in years 1 and 2 and learnt to piano for 3 years. I think both these helped with building the discipline early on.

Gockie likes this.
  7. Gockie

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

What is this, a brag fest?

One of my grandsons has dyslexia and will never do well in Naplan. But he is a wonderful person, very creative and a computer whiz. The fact that he does not test well in NAPLAN does not diminish him as a person.

NAPLAN only tests a set range of skills, and does not not define a child.

As the old saying goes, if animals were tested on their ability to climb a tree, an elephant would go through life branded a failure.
    Marg

Icarus, Angel, sharon and 3 others like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia