Sewer through backyard

Discussion in 'Development' started by RedHat, 27th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Looking for some feedback on the attached sewer diagram, it runs through the highlighted property. From my understanding this is not an easement?

Planning to purchase this property in Sydney to live in; no plans in future to develope although might put a granny flat / add extension.
    Do you see any problem with this?

TA

upload_2018-5-27_19-34-40.png

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

This is no good for a granny flat development unless you want to go to the expense of digging up and encasing the sewer line in concrete. (Assuming your back boundary is where you have highlighted). If this was me looking for a granny flat suitable block I’d give it a miss and keep looking.

Sackie likes this.
  3. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Even though there may not be a formal easement a court could rule that a prescribed easement is in place.
    That means that any 'owner' of the pipe has the right to consider that an easement should be in place due to the long established use.

lixas4, Tufan Chakir and RedHat like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

In WA all sewer lines have an implied easement and don't need to be placed as an easement on title.

Depending on the depth of the sewer is how close you can build to it but it's location looks to be poor for an extension or GF

Archaon, bmc, RedHat and 1 other person like this.
  5. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Thanks Alan.
    Grrany flat is just a thought 15 years down the track. Right now the plan is just to live in the property and enjoy it.:)

6. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Is there likely to be subdivision potential in the future? Even though it is a PPOR and you may have no desire to subdivide, still be aware that if the zoning changes and it becomes a developable site, when you go to sell the value/capital growth will have been limited by the presence of that sewer line.

bmc likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Building a deck or any structure in the yard may be limited by an easement

8. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

you might be referring to a section 88K application

sydney water assets are covered by this legislation
    see https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/inforce/a1f77bd8-14d5-e722-8119-e1abecea1bbb/1994-88.pdf

bob shovel likes this.
  9. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

If you have no intentions of subdivision than this is a Go.

You will have a certain set back if you build a new house looking at positions it will not have a major affect.

I assume the price already reflects this impediment.

In So this property should be cheaper than and identical house with out this sewer. This will also have an effect when. Selling as the new. Buyer Will have same Concerns as you and In so discount the risk.

Archaon likes this.
  10. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

Your local water provider will have all the info you require.
    I would look into this before you buy as part of my DD.
    I am renovating a house now with a sewer pipe like this directly under it and had to pier alongside the pipe to a point down below the "point of influence" to reduce any load upon the pipe.
    It's not impossible but adds to the complexity and cost.

qak likes this.
  11. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

If you are happy to buy the property knowing you likely cannot build over the easement, then proceed. If you want to do future works, get more advice on the ways this can be achieved.

12. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Not a problem, this happens all the time in Sydney, just need to pay extra 20k for concrete encasement.

13. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Question around what concrete encasement entails as I'm looking at a property with a sewer line running across the backyard hence this may need some consideration.

Is it literally what the name says it is? I.e. digging up the ground to expose the pipe, then filling the area with concrete to cover the pipes.

Are there any general rules on how close to sewer pipes before this is required?

If the pipes are exposed and it turns out it isn't in the best of shape, will Sydney Water foot the cost to repair them to a state which the pipes can be encased?

Thanks

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Yep usually dig and replace rather than keep the existing but does depend on the size of the main. It's easier to plug the sewer then replace with pvc and encase.

Likely sydney water will not pay for anything. You want it, you sort it. They also likely have an idea of its condition especially if it's had blockages in the past

datto likes this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What is the going rate $/m for conrete encasement? Or experiences
    @Leo2413 @Westminster and co :)
    Depth and specifics of job vary but what are guide prices or case studies out there

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Never done it myself but a friend mentioned to me awhile back he paid roughly $1300 per lineal metre in NSW.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

@Angad Singh did your engineer mention a rough cost per metre for my site?

18. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

We found a block which we are hoping to develop later. Catch is there is a sewer line across the back. We are very undecided atm. Anyone have done development recently with easement? Any cost estimate those days?