Sewer Line Extension cost

Discussion in 'Development' started by SubdivisionBankIssues, 2nd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SubdivisionBankIssues

SubdivisionBankIssues Member

So the agent we are buying land of advertised the block as "all services available", turns out by available he meant the sewer line is 62m away from our block.
    We have 17 acres with 2 acres of Low Density Residential and a 75m frontage and intend to subdivide so the cost of extending the sewer line would be worth doing (otherwise council make us double the subdivided block sizes).
    Has anyone had any experience in extending a sewer line and any idea of costs please?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Available at a cost :)
    Beware that when we extended the reticulated water from up the street that we had to take it to the far edge of our boundary so that it was then available for our neighbour to. This might not apply in your case but it would be useful to know now.
    Also you'll want to extend it far enough to service all your new blocks of course too.
    Some state infrastructure companies will part subsidise the cost so it can vary a lot. I know in Perth it was about $50k to extend 300m however you will also have the cost of the additional connection charges on top of that for the additional blocks as headworks.
    There is no sewer in our rural area so we are all on septic tanks, this was just for mains water.

Stoffo and lixas4 like this.
  3. SubdivisionBankIssues

thanks for the response, if thats the cost i'd be pretty happy.

4. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Pm sent. Happy to chat.

5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

A guess from the local Authority here, when asked about a similar situation - at around $25k for 30m

lixas4 likes this.
  6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

- Engineering design and feature survey about 8 - 10k
    - Water auth works application 1k
    - Civil works about 500 -600 a metre (depends on site constraints - pit numbers, property connection, in clear area or under road or crossings etc, could be a bit more or less
    - Survey pickup of new sewer for asset mapping about 3k

Rough numbers, all depends on site constraints

frank22 likes this.
  7. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

I suggest organising a contractor as early as you can, it can be hard finding water authority accredited civil contractors to do smaller jobs.

If you have issues, look for contractors doing larger subs nearby and try to entice them to come onto yours, as then they will have all the equipment in the area ready to go.

Sackie, Archaon and Tufan Chakir like this.
  8. SubdivisionBankIssues

Appreciate the feedback thank you :)

lixas4 likes this.
  9. WiWi

WiWi Member

Hey Westminster,
    I'm looking for a company to extend my sewer for a subdivision in Mount Lawley. Could you recommend any companies to get some quotes? That would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    WiWi

10. Westminster

Extend or just create a new connection? Try WVPlumbing

11. WiWi

WiWi Member

Hey Westminster, thanks for your prompt response. It's a battle-axe green title subdivision and the back block is not large enough to have an easement for the front house sewer. That's what my civil engineer has said anyways? Previously the front house was connected to the sewer at the back. Now I'll have to connect the front house to the sewer at the front and approx. 30 meters down the road which is annoying as the neighbours have put down brick paving which probably has to be removed and reinstated after the works.
    So in short it's an existing connection but it'll have to be changed as if it would be new.
    I'll definitely get in contact with WV Plumbing.
    Depending on the quotes, I might go with a survey strata subdivision next time in a similar situation

Attached Files:

12. Westminster

Ah that is the downside of green title. If this was survey strata you'd be able to just run off the rear sewer line - it might not be too late to change to survey strata.
    What suburb is it in and how large is the rear block? are you building on the rear block or selling it off as land? Depending on the size of the rear block I would have thought that a sewer connection near the boundary of 43 might work but depends on what 43 also have constructed near that boundary

13. WiWi

WiWi Member

Initially, I had a survey strata subdivision approved but then changed my mind and resubmitted as green title. I want to build a family home on the back block and thought it would be more straight forward to not have common property. The back block is 419sqm in total but the effective area is 339 sqm. I was aware of the sewer requirements but didn't think we had to connect the front house to a sewer in another street.
    The property is in Mt Lawley, Stirling council. Another reason why I wanted to have it as green title was to be able to have an ancillary dwelling on it. You can't do that on survey strata land. You could get around that by just connecting the two structures but in my head people should value green title blocks slightly higher than survey strata titles. Might be wishful thinking though
    The block slopes downward from lot 43 so the sewer would have to be connected on the side of the access lane.
    Long story short I'll probably have to fork out the money for the sewer change. It's not a commercial development just for profit. As a normal development I would have stuck to a survey strata subdivision for sure.

14. Westminster

If it's Mt Lawley then yes probably worth it to keep it green title. If this was Thornlie I'd suggest definitely changing back to survey strata