Sewer in the backyard, how much to re-run it?

Discussion in 'Development' started by northfan, 5th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. northfan

northfan Member

Hi all,

I am looking at this property hoping to buy. It has private sewer cross the whole backyard all the way to the end then connects to the sewer main. Diagram below.

http://s21.postimg.org/yaumsrvif/sewer.jpg

I guess the private sewer connecting the house to the sewer main is going to cause problem if I want to extend the house. My question is how much would it cost to re-run the private sewer so it can be less disruptive for extension and pool? Just after a rough estimation based on your experience. The block is an average sized block in Sydney.

Thanks!

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

We had to replace 30 meters of private sewer pipe in western Sydney a few months back as trees had wrecked the old clay pipe.

Price was excavate, remove old, re-lay new pvc pipe with all fittings at each end required to reconnect then refill and relay turf. Came to $6500 that was like-for-like location though, not a re-route.

3. northfan

northfan Member

Thanks a lot Propagate!

I am assuming the private sewer is private, so re-route it won't require approval or at least it should be easy to obtain?

4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

No worries,. You'd have to check with council regarding re-route, to be honest, I never even thought about needing a permit. I left it to the plumber. I'm guessing a re-route might be a different story though? Probably best to check with the council. PM me if you want my plumbers details, he was cheaper than the other quotes and did a great job, I've used him for a few things since. He's Western Sydney based.