Sewer / Drainage not inspected

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Hyong J. Cho, 10th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hyong J. Cho

Hyong J. Cho Member

I am interested to buy a townhouse (block of 11 properties) and reviewed the contract document before the auction.

On the sewer diagram page on the contract, following paragraph is written.

Plumbing and/or Drainage found completed without inspection and may not meet Sydney Water requirements

I have spoken to my solicitor and he told me it is not a deal breaker but still has a concern
    with this.

What does it mean? Will you buy this property? How bad ?

Regards

Hyong

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's strata's issue if it is non-compliant (ie shared cost).

In general, if the plumber has submitted the as-built plans but the final inspection appointment was missed by the plumber or inspector.

3. Hyong J. Cho

Hyong J. Cho Member

Thanks Scott. I am aware it is a strata issue. The number of properties on the block is only 11
    and I am not sure how serious the issue is.

Is it a deal breaker or a minor issue? The auction is on coming Saturday and I need to make a decision.

4. Scott No Mates

Has there been any plumbing works noted in the strata minutes? How old is the building? If there have been no issues to date, then the risk may be lower than if there are many notations of plumbing works required. It's your call. (If plumbing works costs $33,000 to rectify, then you would only have $3,000 to pay each - if that's a reassuring thing)

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Two of the most important questions
    Most likely if it is an older (60's) building that either there was no final inspection or the records are not available (lost).
    NOT a deal breaker at all (unless the building is only 0-3yo)

6. Hyong J. Cho

Hyong J. Cho Member

The completion year of construction was 2001 and is around 20 years old, I have carefully checked the strata inspection report but cannot find any major issues on the plumbing.

7. Hyong J. Cho

Hyong J. Cho Member

I have received an email from the vendor's solicitor with the following response including
    final Occupation certificate and Sydney Water Section 73 Certificate..

"A search of Council records has revealed the attached Final Occupation Certificate and associated documents (which are attached for your records and can be shared with potential Purchasers) was issued at the time of completion of construction Please note that the Certificate of Compliance from Sydney Water is dated 16 May 2001, which is prior to the Occupation Certificate being issued.

The only explanation available at this time would be a clerical error on the Sewer Service Diagram, but a Purchaser should not continue to worry about the status of the plumbing installed in the apartments."

I am not still clear what it means.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It means that someone forgot to tick a box or lodge the paperwork correctly.
    This basically says that the sewer conforms, otherwise there would be a rectification order in place.
    After 20 years of functioning without having to be replaced/repaired then you really shouldn't have too much to worry about ;)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

I would be keeping those documents safe so that you will have a copy when it comes time to sell.